+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

111 Guests, 1 User
murphy62

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: nexxtech wireless camera power question/hiding ideas  (Read 1325 times)

caw_walley_eye

• View Profile
nexxtech wireless camera power question/hiding ideas
« on: December 22, 2005, 01:43:43 PM »
I bought this Nexxtech wireless system.

I have only three minor issues with it.

1.I want to mount the camera outside so it has a good view of the front door but the camera requires power AC power with a shorter cord that doesn't reach the house.

Are there longer cords available or would it be ok if I were to bury an extension cord and the power cord and plug underground where it isnít visible?

2.The camera has IR night vision which turns on red LEDís in the dark that are visible. Can the LEDís be covered by say electrical tape so they arenít visible and still have the night vision capability?

3.I am thinking about mounting the camera in a birdhouse so as to be inconspicuous. Anyone have any better ideas or plans?

oderus1671

• Gold Member
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re:nexxtech wireless camera power question/hiding ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 01:57:49 PM »
 hey there! PLEASE dont simply bury an extension cord! They are not designed for direct burial. You will need to buy wire designed for this or run underground conduit pipe and run the wire thru that. Always seal off the connections with some type of sealant.
 2nd, if you cover the IR led's with electrical tape, you are blocking the light that they produce, therefore you wont have night vision anymore.
 A birdhouse is a very good spot to hide a camera. Just dont kick any tenants out of there just to put a camera in it! I take it you want the camera to be covert, so be creative as to where to put em. Just keep in mind the IR's will emit that red glow, so if your trying to be slick, they'll give away the location. I know they sell IR cameras that dont emit a red glow at all, but they are more expensive :-[ They have a wavelength in the 900's i think ???