+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

52 Guests, 0 Users

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: 8132I Symphony and it's Data Service  (Read 5800 times)

ecow

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
8132I Symphony and it's Data Service
« on: December 01, 2005, 03:03:51 PM »
I was reading about the Symphony keypad and noticed the tag at the end about needing an additional data service package in order to get the email/news on the keypad and to access it remotely.

Does nayone know if this "Data Service Package" simply means that you need to have internet access or is it an additional service on top of that?  

If it is an additional service, then im guessing that the extra 400-500 dollars for the 8132I color screen and minor software updates over the 6270 because this "data service" is providing the web page that you access remotely.  If the "data service" is simple internet access then the symphony might justify its cost to me.

Thanks,
Grant

dave

Re:8132I Symphony and it's Data Service
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 03:29:16 PM »
It's data service via Alarmnet.

The price difference between a 6270 and the 8132 is due to the fact there's a size difference in the units, color display, as well as a modem/modem connection for the 8132I

It's not necessarily simple web access with the 8132, it's a separate web service altogether.

kdberg

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 02:28:45 PM »
The data service package has to be through an authorized alarmnet dealer.  This works just fine with the 8132.  The only advantage of the 8132i is that the communications from your system to the monitoring company is via the internet.

dave

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 04:00:27 PM »
Not true. The host system still uses a traditional dialer and communications protocol, the only connection to Alarmnet is for the modem's homepage applications.

While the alarm's net capabilities are via alarmnet, the alarm can be monitored by an applicable CS. Remember, alarmnet is only a transmission service, not a CS.

The only way you can have a direct net connection to Alarmnet for alarm communications is via Alarmnet I transmitters.

The 8132I is the same as a 6270, or 8132, with the exception of the color display, and the net scrolling (stocks, weather, email, etc.).

This is straight from Honeywell's site:
DETAILS - This product doesn't have this capability. The keypad can be the upgraded by a software download from alarmnet to allow the keypad to provide internet reporting. Account has to be setup through Alarmnet.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 04:03:05 PM by dave »

kdberg

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 06:28:51 PM »
Here's a quote from the Honeywell Symphony Data Sheet that I based my statement on.  I also have two 8132's installed that I use for Data Services access.  

"The Data Services package also includes the ability to completely control the security system and Symphony remotely over the internet with an ordinary web browser. When using the Internet for alarm reporting, the Symphony-i version should be ordered."

dave

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 06:54:36 PM »
you are completely misreading it, and if you are using it for alarm reporting (monitoring via Alarmnet) I'd love to see how without using a standard CS, as Alarmnet is not a CS.

Alarmnet transfers the signals they recieve to a CS that can recieve Alarmnet signals. Monitoring, account management, as well as something down to contact with authorities and yourself, are not done with Alarmnet.

The only thing the 8132I will do is emulate the same signals that are sent via Ademco's LRR (Alarmnet C) units using TC/IP protocol.
The Symphony, by enabling via programming, enables an Alarmnet-I communications path. It's basically emulating the Alarmnet-I transceiever that they are selling for all the ECP enabled panels, without the Symphony interface.

Mind you, none of this is available to an end user, as end users are not Alarmnet or Ademco dealers, and don't have access to such. Anyone can buy the units, but without a dealer account with Alarmnet and access to a CS that can recieve Alarmnet signaling, the feature is moot.

Also, not having multiple communication routes and formats (standard dialer) and an always on network connection, as the same issues with running communications via a network applies (almost similar to the VOIP argument) of having no backup power to the network connection, and still having it communicate via wire (same as POTS).

I have yet to see any dealers in my state install one of these as a TC/IP protocol connection only, and I will say doing such, without a secondary form of communications (would have to be POTS, as the LRR feature is already programmed for the internet reporting) otherwise full data transmission would not be possible, is a very foolhardy way to proceed.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 06:55:21 PM by dave »

kdberg

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 09:46:45 PM »
Not sure why I am having so much difficulty getting my point across.  I totally agree that using the internet as a media for alarm reporting is a really bad idea.  I was only saying that the 8132i is capable of doing so, while the 8132 is not.  The point is rather mute anyway as on 10/7 Honeywell officially listed the 8132i as a replacement for the 8132.  It used to be that there was a significant dealer cost price differential between the two units, but they have been selling wholesale for the same cost in anticipation of end of life of the non-i version of the 8132.

NoGuy

• View Profile
Re: 8132I Symphony and it's Data Service
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 05:35:33 PM »
If i am reading this post correctly does this mean that the use of the 7845i-gsm would be used if there is no 8132i installed...

and if the system does have a 8132i installed then a 7845-gsm would give the system the same functionality as having the 7845i-gsm. or do you still need the 7845i-gsm with the 8132i to have ip & gsm reporting?