+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

71 Guests, 1 User
murphy62

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: Anyone using ABN Broadband adapter with NextAlarm?  (Read 17726 times)

yep, me

• Security Pro
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re:Anyone using ABN Broadband adapter with NextAlarm?
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2006, 06:26:48 PM »
so i got the call back. and the guy i spoke to gave me a good feeling about the company. the fact that it took them 25hrs to call back does not mean much to me. this has nothing to do with the response time of an alarm call.

they have three UL stations, on east, one west and one canada, all well staffed and approved etc. but if one goes down it will NOT be rerouted, but that is in the works.

the response to a triggered alarm was qouted to be between 30 sec and 4 mins.

the issue of not having a phone line, was just the call list. meaning they would call for e.g. my cell phone, if i don't answer or answer and say i'm not there or don't give them the password it will be a go for them to call authorities. on the edge of beeing legal with ordenance, but that would most likely only became an issue if i have many faulse alarms

the guy was honest about the internet not beeing the best option, but recommend EITHER way (phone or internet) a backup solution (cell via alarmnet an extra $8.-)

in regards to communication between the ABN and the panel. it receives and reacts the same way than a CL station. if the ABN does not confirm the panel will try again. not the ABN. so if the panel gives up before the ABN establishes a connection i am out of luck.

on their side they have of course backup servers and all that stuff.

the guy didn't try to sell me anything, just was giving me honest answers. and i appreciate that a lot.

so overall they gave me confidence in their company and it seems like i should backup my system either way with a cell option.

so it comes down for me if i want to spend the extra $12.- am moths for a phone line or not or the ontime $100.- for the ABN adapter.

the phone line could come in handy for my tivo and 911 calls (ever tried to call 911 over a cell phone ??) but then the 911 call could be handled with the panic button...

i am really leaning towards the powermax+ since it seems to have the most accessories, but can it handle to use a backup for calling (cell if the ABN or landline fails ?)

thanks

Security Monitor

• Security Guru
  • member: International Order of the llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2006, 09:53:02 PM »
they have three UL stations, on east, one west and one canada, all well staffed and approved etc. but if one goes down it will NOT be rerouted, but that is in the works.

Did they provide the names of these contracted stations so you could verify for yourself their credentials?  I know the answer, just want to know if you did your own research.

the response to a triggered alarm was qouted to be between 30 sec and 4 mins.

The times are all right so long as the average is closer to the 30 sec - 1 minute range and not the 1+ minute range.

the issue of not having a phone line, was just the call list. meaning they would call for e.g. my cell phone, if i don't answer or answer and say i'm not there or don't give them the password it will be a go for them to call authorities. on the edge of beeing legal with ordenance, but that would most likely only became an issue if i have many faulse alarms

Not true.  If your city adopted MAO (as most have), it's mandatory.  The CS must make a verification call to the "alarmed premise". If they are not actually calling the "alarmed premise" they are not to contact the authorities except for fire and medical. The responsibility rests on both you and the CS.  The CS is required to verify that the premise number they have is for a phone located at the premise.  Your responsibility is to know and adhere to the ordinance. This type of violation is actually a serious issue that can lead to immediate fines and suspension of municipal response.  If your municipality has also adopted advanced verification, no premise phone removes your location from the ability to utilize advance verification regardless of alarm conditions.

the guy was honest about the internet not beeing the best option, but recommend EITHER way (phone or internet) a backup solution (cell via alarmnet an extra $8.-)

Now that's a complete turn around from previous claims of being the best option far superior to anything else available.  Wonder what cause that reversal?

in regards to communication between the ABN and the panel. it receives and reacts the same way than a CL station. if the ABN does not confirm the panel will try again. not the ABN. so if the panel gives up before the ABN establishes a connection i am out of luck.

So they are saying the ABN mimics the phone line and CS handshake so the panel will at least start the communications? Or are they saying the ABN only mimics the phone line but won't give a handshake unless the CS establishes a connection with the ABN?  The second is the only way you want it, not the first.  But what is the time frame for that connection?  Alarms won't sit around waiting. We're talking seconds between off-hook and redial.

Now what happens if your internet service is down?  How does the ABN alert the alarm to signal some form of communications problem?  On a phone line, the TLM will alerts you.

Same question except for power.  If you drop power to the ABN or your cable modem, is there some way to alert you?

on their side they have of course backup servers and all that stuff.

Every UL listed CS must have that. But now that raises the question, are you saying your alarm signal goes to their office first and after doing it's thing there, is routed to whichever CS was contracted to provide service?  That may explain the times mentioned for alarm response. But doesn't that add an additional cog in the works where problems can occur?

the phone line could come in handy for my tivo and 911 calls (ever tried to call 911 over a cell phone ??) but then the 911 call could be handled with the panic button...

Panic buttons are for two purposes only:
1. Sound the siren to alert any intruder that they have been detected.
2. To give you an opportunity to implement some form of escape and evade, knowing help was called.
It should never be used in lieu of calling 911 if possible. The panic alarm is for when you are or reasonably believe you are in danger, nothing else.

Thanks for the info.  Let us know if you learn anything else.  We can use the education.

yep, me

• Security Pro
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2006, 07:35:31 AM »
i'll answers in the order of your replies.

no. and if i would havethat little trust in a monitoring company that i would need to check the credentials of the CL than i shouldn't even consider that company.

no company will gurantee any response time

the issue with the phone has to be looked further into

i never heard anyone claim the ABN is the best option

i don't know about the handshake. if the internet is down. i am out of luck if the pnael stops trying before the internet comes back up.
in regards to power you of course need a backup power for your modem/computer

yes the internet rout certainly adds a few points in the com. line

copy that about the panic button

at this point i am leaning towards phone and cell with a lynx ademco system. the internet rout seems to add to many ?? and probably response time too. don't know wich company yet. but it'll be nextalarm or alarmrealay. with the second having done 25 more years of bussiness....

Security Monitor

• Security Guru
  • member: International Order of the llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2006, 10:32:01 PM »
no. and if i would havethat little trust in a monitoring company that i would need to check the credentials of the CL than i shouldn't even consider that company.
Actually, unless you absolutely know the credentials of the CS you're using, you should be checking.  An example is when your buying monitoring from one entity, paying them the bills, having them do the admin and file management, but the actual monitoring is being conducted by someone completely different.  Now, there is nothing wrong with contracted monitoring, but at least if you have a system installed by a local company that does contract monitoring, you know them personally.

no company will gurantee any response time

Correct, many things impact response times, but CS's strive for quick response from their end and DO maintain records of their average reponse times to alarm signals.

i don't know about the handshake. if the internet is down. i am out of luck if the pnael stops trying before the internet comes back up.
in regards to power you of course need a backup power for your modem/computer

As you see, you'll have to wait for all dialer attempts to be exhausted before you know there's a problem.  How long will all those dialer attempts require?  With phone line monitoring, an alarm's TLM will at least warn you if the actual phone line isn't working.  Of course if there's a problem with getting through, but the line is working, you won't know until the dialer attempts are exhausted.

As for power, we do use internet monitoring but our setup and equipment is designed to alert us to power failures.  Besides, on those where we do use an adapter for the non tcp-ip panels, Our adapters are hooked to the panels power supply and backup.  We don't leave it up to the user, it must be inplace as part of the system.

I donít want to tell you not to use someone, just exercise the same caution as you would when giving out credit card information or buying a pacemaker.