+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

56 Guests, 0 Users

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: Vista 20P Installation  (Read 2099 times)

bfrei

• Gold Member
  • Bad llama.
    • View Profile
Vista 20P Installation
« on: March 08, 2005, 09:44:25 PM »
I have pretty advanced home improvement skills.  All of my other projects have been cake, but the home security systemů boy, this is complicated stuff.  I purchased a Vista 20P with a 5881EN wireless receiver and other devices.  I figured I could look at the install manual and figure it out.  Wrong.  I need help.

First can someone fill me in on some basics.

What is the definition of EOL and EOLR?

On the control circuit board, there are 25 terminals.  What is the logic for these terminals?  Based on review of the install guide:

Terminals 1 and 2 appear to be designated for the 1321 Transformer. Correct or Incorrect?

Terminals 3 and 4 appear to be for the sounder.  Correct or Incorrect?

Terminals 4, 5, 6, 7 appear to be for the keypad.  Is terminal 4 supposed to be shared by both the sounder and the keypad?

The wireless receiver has a wiring harness with the following; yellow wire, red wire, black wire, green wire, and blue wire.  Do these get connected the control circuit board?  If so, how do I know which terminals?

Which terminals are designated for the zones?

Are there terminals that are designated to be used as the neutral termination point for multiple zones?

I have a second keypad I plan to install.  Again, which terminals?

I am not ready to throw in the towel just yet.  If someone can chime in on these questions, I can start figuring out the logic behind the installation.  I want to start running wire to my windows, doors, and other devices.  Would it be safe to do this and have run the wire to each device back to my panel, or am I supposed to do it in series (like wiring a series of duplex outlets)?  

Any help would be much appreciated.

Brian

allenc

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re:Vista 20P Installation
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 11:26:28 PM »
bfrei,

I am also installing a 20P.  I found the diagram on the last page of the manual 10-11 (also on the sticker on the door) to be the most useful.  The zones are designated 8-20.  The end of line resistors are not mandatory for zone 2-8.  

What is confusing at first is that wires do share terminals.  Terminal 4 and 5 will power all you hardwire devices and keypads.  The wireless receiver connects just like the wired keypad.  Each wired zone will occupy four terminals.  4 and 5 for power and two others for the zone loop, say 10 and 11 for zone 2.  Zone 2-8 share a lo terminal.  Zone 1 is by itself and requires the EOLR.  

That's my understanding of it.  There are several knowledgeable people on this board.  Maybe posting under the Ademco Technical Support forum will get a better response.  Good luck.

Repairguy

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 03:57:25 AM »
See my post in your other thread for more detailed info.

Zones 1 & 2 are independant of any others (2 terminals each).

ALL zones require EOL on a vista panel.

Only powered device require 4 terminals 2 for power & 2 for the loop.

bfrei

• Gold Member
  • Bad llama.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 08:57:58 PM »
Thank you for your replies!

Here are a few follow up Q's.

On the schematic (inside lid of the can) there is a the following note over the second terminal, "Red Jumper. Cut for supervision.  Also connect 2000 OHM resistor directly across sounder"

What does it mean to have the sounder on "Supervision"?  I think this has something to do with fire alarms.  I will not have a monitoring service with my system.  I am toying with the idea of adding a couple fire detectors that can connect to the panel.  However, I am not sure if this makes sense without a service.  Thoughts??

My system will have perimeter contacts for my basement (where we sleep) and some motion sensors on the main floor to detect intruders.  Also, I will put devices on all doors into my home (only two doors).  Plus, I have a detached garage that will have door and window contacts (also two glass break detectors).  I have bi-directional key-fobs to disarm the system when we pull into the garage.  Based on this layout, is there any need for me to use zone-doubling (I think I can do it all in 8 zones or less)?  For that matter what is zone doubling?  A zone doubling kit came with my system, but I have no idea how to set it up.

Also, I believe that zone one requires a resistor; correct/incorrect??  I am not sure if resistors are necessary for my configuration.  I don't even know what they look like.  Do I need a resistor for each zone?  

Thanks in advance for your advice!!

Brian

Repairguy

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 07:41:27 AM »
Detailed reply is in your other post.

dephawaii

• I really like this stuff....I am still learning...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 01:36:27 PM »
Hi Repair Guy, I really appreciate your expertise on this issue....

I don't have any resistors installed and the system seems to be working fine...do you think there will be future problems...?

If I do put them in, do I put the resistors in the panel across the terminals or back at the last sensor....and how do you put a resistor for a door contact.....?  Thanks so much....