Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

76 Guests, 3 Users
stevegil,
murphy62,
wgkucr

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: External Siren for Honeywell 5100 & Monitoring  (Read 1179 times)

Websurfer48

• View Profile
External Siren for Honeywell 5100 & Monitoring
« on: June 12, 2013, 03:52:17 PM »
Hi All,

I searched for this but couldn't find anything in the forum addressing this.  This is my first post and thank you in advance for your assistance.

ISSUE 1 - External Siren
I'm installing a Honeywell 5100 system an a 1,200 sq ft house.  I'd like to install a louder siren in the crawl space above the garage so it could be heard outside the home. 

What's the best way to do this?  Can one use something like the Honeywell Ademco 702, Self-Contained Electric Security Siren, 6-12VDC (link:  amazon.com/Honeywell-702-Self-Contained-Electric-Security/dp/B000GUTMPI/ref=pd_ys_sf_s_172282_b1_27_p) or should I use a wireless solution?  Also, I live in Phoenix, so it gets pretty hot in the garage where I would put this - what's the best solution given the heat issue? 

ISSUE 2 - Monitoring

Can you recommend a decent but not expensive monitoring solution?

Thank you

Larry

rander05

• View Profile
Re: External Siren for Honeywell 5100 & Monitoring
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 05:57:16 PM »
I would recommend an Ademco 5800Wave. It is wireless and plugs directly into a 110 volt outlet. The programming is a bit tricky, but installation is very easy.

Websurfer48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 12:41:03 PM »
rander05,

Thank you for the reply. I see that this is a wireless siren which, reviews say is not very loud and, since this is wireless I would have to climb up into the garage to replace the battery.  The latter is less of a concern to me than it not being very loud.

Do you or does anyone have a solution for a louder siren perhaps using a wireless relay?

Thank you

Pelican1979

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 01:20:38 PM »
You will need a RBSNTTL - Altronix Ultra Sensitive Relay Module, the wired siren of your choice and an external power supply that can handle the load on the siren. The relay will be connected to the trigger terminal inside the L5100 panel. 

You will program the trigger in the Rules screen with an action of Permanent On, and then the start as Any BA Alarm, and the stop as Bell Time Out.

Sterling Donnelly

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
    • No contract alarm monitoring and DIY friendly home security!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 02:27:04 PM »
You can also use a 5800RL wireless relay so that you don't have to run a wire from where you want to mount the siren all the way back to the panel. The 5800RL allows you to make that connection wirelessly. You just connect the siren to the relay and the power supply.

I will PM you my email so I can send you a document that shows the connections.
Alarmgrid.com offers the full line of Honeywell security equipment and no contract alarm monitoring services with plans starting at only $10/month. Come check us out to see detailed product descriptions catered towards the DIY security community.

Firefighter20

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 04:05:28 PM »
I have the same problem. I am doing the same thing but i need a wiring diagram. I have a idea but i am not sure. I have the altronics relay RBSN-TTL, universal transformer ub1640wr, power supply battery charger elk-p624 and a siren and battery. Anyone have a wiring diagram?