+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

60 Guests, 1 User
LGSONE

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: System for Self Monitoring ? (Honeywell 5100, GE Simon XTI, ???)  (Read 6431 times)

someguy

• View Profile
System for Self Monitoring ? (Honeywell 5100, GE Simon XTI, ???)
« on: February 11, 2013, 02:08:29 PM »
I want to install a good wireless security system and self monitor it.

I'm looking for an Internet able system whereby I can check in with an iPhone or Android and see what alarms are tripped, see in house video, etc.

Thus far I am most impressed with the features on the Honeywell 5100, but I'm a little foggy on how it works for self monitoring.  Is anyone self monitoring a 5100 ?

When will the IP module (not the GSM module) be ready for the GE Simon XTI ?   I can't find it for sale anywhere.  How does the Simon compare for self monitoring ?

Thanks

Smith Wesson Security

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
    • Smith & Wesson Security Services
Re: System for Self Monitoring ? (Honeywell 5100, GE Simon XTI, ???)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 03:55:05 PM »
The only way to self monitor is to either

1. Sit on a rocking chair on your front porch with a shotgun, or

2. Subscribe to Total Connect

If you use a 5100 with a wifi card you can get Total Connect Basic for as little as $10 per month,

If you want notifications it will cost a little more,

We have 1763 customers self monitoring with a Lynx 5100 so it must be working.

*****We offer Honeywell equipment, Professional Monitoring, Compass and Total Connect Programming. Tuxedo Keypads, Honeywell panels and parts.
 sawcfl.com

totalchump

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 04:55:08 PM »
check this:

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-2164-evl-3-envisalink-internet-alert-module-for-dsc-honeywell-security.aspx

This goes into Honeywell vista's and DSC's. You can monitor all your zones thru a web app from your smartphone. You can disarm and arm also from the app. Also will receive text and emails when alarm goes off. You don't have any monthly fees. I don't own it tho and I am not sure of its performance, but I am sure it gets the job done. The only thing that sucks with the DSC is that altho its a hybrid system they do not make any wireless keypads. They do allow wireless sensors tho.

someguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 05:19:43 PM »
check this:

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-2164-evl-3-envisalink-internet-alert-module-for-dsc-honeywell-security.aspx

Bingo !   Now all I need is for it to work with the XTI.

I don't understand why, in this day and age, we need a human between us and our alarm systems.  As far as I am concerned, they are just an unnecessary expense and delay.

dominogold

• Gold Member
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 05:50:24 PM »
Bingo !   Now all I need is for it to work with the XTI.

I don't understand why, in this day and age, we need a human between us and our alarm systems.  As far as I am concerned, they are just an unnecessary expense and delay.

I couldn't agree more....  but I guess it depends on the individual situation.  For me, I live in a very safe town and neighborhood with great neighbors that watch my house when we're gone.   Basically I just want an alarm system to alert me personally on a cell phone and for peace of mind while sleeping at night.

I could see value in it for elderly folks or those in high crime areas.  But for me, I'm still searching for the right system that won't cost me any more monthly fees.

totalchump

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 10:02:16 PM »
Yea I also dont think central station monitoring is worth it. However, in your case you may have to pay some monthly fee to get the functionality you want  and notifications via smart phone with the XTI. If not you may have to settle for just basic phone interaction (XTI calling your cell phone in case of alarm and letting you know what tripped the alarm. Dialing in from a phone to arm/disarm and listen in to the alarm panel)

someguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 01:30:44 AM »
If not you may have to settle for just basic phone interaction (XTI calling your cell phone in case of alarm and letting you know what tripped the alarm. Dialing in from a phone to arm/disarm and listen in to the alarm panel)
  Will the XTI do that without using a monitoring service ?    Will the 5100 ?

Is there a communication standard for "talking" to these devices ?   One could easily program up an application to communicate with them if one knew what the protocol and messages were.

someguy

• View Profile

corxxgold

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 07:36:42 AM »
The Simon XT and the XTi have voice dialers, so if you have an alarm at home, self monitored, it will call your cell phone and tell you what is in alarm,, you have to acknowledge the alarm by pressing the * button on your phone, if not it will keep calling you over and over

dominogold

• Gold Member
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 07:42:21 PM »
The Simon XT and the XTi have voice dialers, so if you have an alarm at home, self monitored, it will call your cell phone and tell you what is in alarm,, you have to acknowledge the alarm by pressing the * button on your phone, if not it will keep calling you over and over

This is what I want to do.... is there any way to self monitor without a monthly fee? 

If not what is the cheapest one out there...

Thanks

corxxgold

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 07:12:42 AM »
You can self monitor with a Simon xt or an Xti-- you would need a old fashion telephone line to work the easiest,, you can get the bigger voip ( Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, Verizon) to work with it if you know what your doing

dominogold

• Gold Member
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
I have an old fashioned land line...

So which package should I target with this (there are several variations of XT and XTI on Homesecuritystore.com)

Smith Wesson Security

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
    • Smith & Wesson Security Services
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 02:52:38 PM »
I have an old fashioned land line...

So which package should I target with this (there are several variations of XT and XTI on Homesecuritystore.com)

That's exactly what that is ......Old Fashioned........

When everyone is moving forward with ip and GSM4g, does it really make any sense to take a step , or two, backwards?
*****We offer Honeywell equipment, Professional Monitoring, Compass and Total Connect Programming. Tuxedo Keypads, Honeywell panels and parts.
 sawcfl.com

dominogold

• Gold Member
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 09:24:04 AM »
I don't need the latest and greatest and this system is upgradable.  I've said from the beginning I want a system that does not have any monthly fees.

DaveSin

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 12:19:52 PM »
You seem to have dug yourself into a corner by making a decision on one or two Alarm System.  My recommendation to you would be to get a DSC 1832 or 1864 System, along with the EnvisaLink 3 IP Module.  You now have a system that can be self-monitored for free.  You can get email and or Text messages of Zone opening/closing, arm/disarm your System from Smartphone or PC from anywhere in the world.  The DSC System works seamlessly with the ENvisaLink Module.  There are even Camera and HVAC Support remotely...all for free.  If you choose to monitor your System later, you can do so for as low as $8.99 per month through EnvisAlarm.  Why is this so difficult to grasp?

I don't need the latest and greatest and this system is upgradable.  I've said from the beginning I want a system that does not have any monthly fees.