+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

65 Guests, 0 Users

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: GE Simon XTI review  (Read 2268 times)

primetime

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
GE Simon XTI review
« on: January 23, 2013, 07:52:26 PM »
After doing some extensive research and with the help of this forum answering my many questions, I decided that my criteria would be:

<$30 per month professional monitoring with no contract
Z-wave functionality
Wireless rather than hardwired
GSM cellular rather than POTS or cable
Easy self install
Reliable self monitoring service

I ordered the following individual components from various places totaling $780.

1 GE Simon XTI - 80-649-3D-XTI       
2 way talk touch screen- 60-924-RF-TS      
1 GSM Radio w/Z-wave with antenna   - 600-1048-XT-ZX-AT   
7 Crystal Door/window sensor   s - 60-362N-10-319.5
2 Micro Keyfobs - 600-1064-95R      
4 SAW pet immune motion detectors - NX-481
2 Glass break detectors 600-1064-95R   
2 Piezo Sirens from radio shack 273-079   
1 Z-Wave plug in light/appliance module - 45603

I'm sure if I went with someone like A*T the hardware/service agreement would be 2-3x the price of what I will have paid in the course of 3-5 years.  I'm going to try the alarm relay monitoring service and do some self monitoring along with Z-wave with my iphone 5 via alarm.com  I'm still waiting for everything to get here.  Once I install it and review it for a month, I will give my thoughts.

jrbirge

• View Profile
Re: GE Simon XTI review
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:18:44 AM »
After doing some extensive research and with the help of this forum answering my many questions, I decided that my criteria would be:

<$30 per month professional monitoring with no contract
Z-wave functionality
Wireless rather than hardwired
GSM cellular rather than POTS or cable
Easy self install
Reliable self monitoring service

I ordered the following individual components from various places totaling $780.

1 GE Simon XTI - 80-649-3D-XTI       
2 way talk touch screen- 60-924-RF-TS      
1 GSM Radio w/Z-wave with antenna   - 600-1048-XT-ZX-AT   
7 Crystal Door/window sensor   s - 60-362N-10-319.5
2 Micro Keyfobs - 600-1064-95R      
4 SAW pet immune motion detectors - NX-481
2 Glass break detectors 600-1064-95R   
2 Piezo Sirens from radio shack 273-079   
1 Z-Wave plug in light/appliance module - 45603

I'm sure if I went with someone like A*T the hardware/service agreement would be 2-3x the price of what I will have paid in the course of 3-5 years.  I'm going to try the alarm relay monitoring service and do some self monitoring along with Z-wave with my iphone 5 via alarm.com  I'm still waiting for everything to get here.  Once I install it and review it for a month, I will give my thoughts.

Please tell us how you self-monitor with alarm.com. As far as I could tell, the only option was to go with a normal monitoring service through somebody like Frontpoint.com, which contracted with alarm.com. I would love to just have the alarm.com monitoring without having to also pay a middleman as well as a central monitoring station. In my opinion, central monitoring is largely useless at this point, since they go through so many hoops before actually calling the cops. (Maybe the fire monitoring is worth it.) I can call the cops a heck of a lot faster after getting an alarm notification on my cell phone.

primetime

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
Re: GE Simon XTI review
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 10:20:25 AM »
I use alarm relay central monitoring and I also self monitor using my iPhone 5. It's good to have a central monitoring station in the event that you are not by your phone or if it is on silent.