Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

36 Guests, 2 Users
Captain303,
AlarmMike

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: Using Compass 2.0 over AlarmNet-i  (Read 3442 times)

jimmyz80

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
Using Compass 2.0 over AlarmNet-i
« on: August 13, 2012, 12:32:46 PM »
I tried searching as much as possible on the site, but couldn't find an answer to this question.  Hoping someone can help me wrap my head around this one...

I have a Vista 20P panel hooked up to a 7845i-GSM, which is monitored by an alarm company who is supposedly DIY friendly.  I configured my panel, they set up the communicator and monitoring for me to work with my DIY panel config.  I'm signed up for Total Connect 1.0 and it works great.

I recently got my hands on a copy of Compass 2.0, which looks like it should be able to access my panel wirelessly over AlarmNet if I supply the correct information.  So far I've fired it up, created a customer for myself, entered my MAC address, set the Receiver Group to 1, and set the Account Number to what I thought was my account number with the monitoring company.  In the modem screen, I configured a TCPIP port "TCPIP 1" which defaulted to using "controlserver.alarmnet.com", and the IP address field above it was left blank (It doesn't seem to require it be filled in).

Now when I double click on my account, it brings up the panel editor and I click the little communicate button.  In the Compass Communications window, I hit "connect", choose my TCPIP port "Use Account CSID" option, ECP Mode, and the AlarmNet-i button.  I get some status messages about "connecting to data server", "receiving data", "sending connect command", but then it waits about 5 seconds and gives me this error:

Panel disconnected due to either Incorrect Subscriber ID, or Panel not responding.

Am I doing everything properly, and this really just means I have the wrong account number entered in the customer record, or am I screwing something else up in the process?  I have two account numbers with this company, one is a three digit number, and the other is a six digit number.  They show up in different places and I was hoping one would be my Subscriber ID in the panel.  I do seem to get error messages in Compass saying the number should be 4 digits long, but is this a requirement or a suggestion?

Thanks!

Smith Wesson Security

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
    • Smith & Wesson Security Services
Re: Using Compass 2.0 over AlarmNet-i
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 01:49:45 PM »
When you set up compass you need to make sure you input all of the account information.

Go to the customer screen, click on your account, click detail.

The top left of the next screen (subscriber data) is for the receiver.

This info must come from your CS and is the  prefix to your account number 4 digits.

Also, in programming of your panel *96 clears your account info and allows for download.

then back in compass: Enable TCP/IP, check 1st time communication,,
ECP mode,
Alarmnet-i,

Then hit connect.

The account and or receiver number you entered is most likely incorrect.
*****We offer Honeywell equipment, Professional Monitoring, Compass and Total Connect Programming. Tuxedo Keypads, Honeywell panels and parts.
 sawcfl.com

jimmyz80

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 03:58:54 PM »
Thanks for sanity checking this for me. :)  Two questions though...  If I *96 the panel, I assume it blows away the CSID and this would prevent the CS from being able to identify what account my alarm signals are coming from?  Next, how does the "Receiver" field in the "Subscriber Data" section play into all this?  Is it something that is actually sent along with the connection requests, or is it just some internal mapping within Compass that can be set to something generic like "01" or something?

Thanks again!

Ea3Ltd

• Security Guru
  • sales@ea3ltd.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:09:59 PM »
The CSID is a number that is usually set in compass, it basicly a passcode to prevent any un authorized people from using the downloader to get into your panel.

the CS Account number is what the  central station uses to match the signal they recieve up with your account info. By choosing first time communication compass will look for the default CSID by doing *96 that tells the panel to set the csid to the default.

You should set a CSID in the compass program and it will then send that to the panel when you download thus preventing anyone but you from being able to use compass to program your panel.
ea3ltd.com

Self Monitoring with Alarm.com $12.75/Basic Interactive
Professional Monitoring with Copsmonitoring.com

NICET Level III

Smith Wesson Security

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
    • Smith & Wesson Security Services
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 04:04:00 AM »
The subscriber data are is info that you would get from your CS.
The receiver is the actual receiver that takes your panels call, each receiver can handle 9999 accounts.

It is most like 3 letters/numbers or a combo of both.
*****We offer Honeywell equipment, Professional Monitoring, Compass and Total Connect Programming. Tuxedo Keypads, Honeywell panels and parts.
 sawcfl.com

Sorbe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 04:05:19 AM »
Which DIY Alarm Companies let you do your own compass programming over AlarmNET?  And where, o where can I REALLY get Compass 2.0.24?