Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

55 Guests, 3 Users
wedgeiron,
my2gigsystem,
M_J_B

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: Help me find a security system, Please!  (Read 6264 times)

seegee

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
Help me find a security system, Please!
« on: July 09, 2012, 10:00:25 PM »
Thanks for looking.

Here are my requirements:

WIRED SYSTEM:  I just built a new home and wanted all the sensors concealed, so I had all the doors and windows prewired with sensors.

MONITOR WITH IP OR CELLULAR:  I don't have a land line, and don't intend on getting one.

2-WAY VOICE:  My local PD does not respond unless it's a verified response.  I used to have APX (Vivint), and they could listen in an hear if someone was inside the house when the alarm was triggered.  We also like them coming over the speaker when the alarm is triggered, instead of ringing a telephone.

(LIKE) IP PROGRAMMABILITY - I have some programming experience, and I have a WiFi thermostat.  I'd like be able to query the status of the alarm system (armed stay/away) and be able to adjust the temperature thresholds accordingly.

WIRELESS - Not required, but would be nice if I find an area that needs a sensor later that was not hard-wired.

Thanks in advance for any help!
-CG

RubenC

• Home Security Store - Sales
  • Security Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Help me find a security system, Please!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:11:23 AM »
Hello CG,

I like to usually use the V20P-TOTAL for these features what you are looking for. Hopefully if you want to be monitored by a central station. You can check this kit out at homesecuritystore.com. I hope this helps.

Home Security Store
(888) 501-7870 Ext 212

desmorider

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:36:12 AM »
Hello CG,

I like to usually use the V20P-TOTAL for these features what you are looking for. Hopefully if you want to be monitored by a central station. You can check this kit out at homesecuritystore.com. I hope this helps.

Will the vista 20p-total package give him access and control of his wi-fi thermostat?  If so, how does that work?  Not doubting you, just trying to learn. 

RubenC

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »
@ desmorider

I know that the unit can handle the Zwave Thermostats this is why I went with the panel. Hoping he had Zwave within his houseld with that Thermostat. No info provided about the actual thermostat given in the first message. ??
Home Security Store
(888) 501-7870 Ext 212

seegee

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 03:43:55 PM »
Thanks.  From what I can see, the Vista 20P might do 2-way voice, but requires another module.  Something like an AVS, UVS, or something?  What central monitoring companies support 2-way voice?  Does the 2-way voice require a land line, or can it use IP and/or cellular?

My thermostat is www.radiothermostat.com.  It connects over wifi and was less than $100 at Home Depot.  It supports a JSON interface, so I was thinking of creating my own solution for interfacing it.  Does the 20P have some kind of http interface that will give me status, and perhaps allow me to arm/disarm?

Thanks,
CG

seegee

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 02:56:39 PM »
What monitoring companies support 2-way voice, and does it require a land line?

Smith Wesson Security

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
    • Smith & Wesson Security Services
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 04:23:19 AM »
We support 2-way voice over a GSM. You would need the AVS module installed. Simple installation.

We could also do all of your programming for you via compass.

You could control your thermostat using a Tuxedo, port forwarding, and a dns site.
*****We offer Honeywell equipment, Professional Monitoring, Compass and Total Connect Programming. Tuxedo Keypads, Honeywell panels and parts.
 sawcfl.com

corxxgold

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 07:05:12 AM »
Tell him he has to pay $ 525.00 for the tux touch to use his Z wave?

Jonathan

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 07:42:21 AM »
Actually, the tuxedo touch is $374.95 online.

Where are you coming with $525.00 for the unit?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 03:10:38 PM by admin »

corxxgold

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 12:41:29 PM »
the tux with wi fi is 525.00  the one you show is the older one

Jonathan

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 01:27:14 PM »
I personally dislike wifi for anything that's not going to be mobile, like desktop pc's, game systems, security cameras, and in this case the tux keypad. Especially when it has to do with security. Since he has the vista 20p, he has to run a wire for the keypad regardless, so running an Ethernet wire along with the keypad wire shouldn't be an issue. So the $374.00 tuxedo touch should work just fine for him.

Smith Wesson Security

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
    • Smith & Wesson Security Services
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 01:38:01 PM »
I agree with Jonathan. :)
*****We offer Honeywell equipment, Professional Monitoring, Compass and Total Connect Programming. Tuxedo Keypads, Honeywell panels and parts.
 sawcfl.com

seegee

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 04:18:27 PM »
How much is the total monthly for central monitoring with 2-way voice?

Regarding the thermostat, I think I'm going to go cook up something using the thermostat's JSON interface.  My goal is to reduce costs as much as possible, even if it means doing some of the work myself.

seegee

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »
Also, does the Vista panel get an IP address on my network?  Is it possible to send commands over IP to get the status (armed, stay/away, etc), and also what about setting the alarm status over IP?

Thanks.

Jonathan

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 04:47:26 PM »
Yes, the vista panel will get an ip address on your network. If you're using a vista 20p, then you need the 7845 iGSMV or you need the vista 21ip. The vista 21ip comes equipped with a internet communicator and you can also buy the optional gsm communicator. The kit that RubenC suggested to you (V20P-TOTAL) only has the 7845 GSMV, so it will only communicate over the cellular network.

You can send commands over ip to arm/disarm the system if you are using the tuxedo touch keypad (this is free), or you could send commands and receive text alerts such as alarms, disarms, troubles etc if you are being monitored and subscribe to the total connect service. The total connect service also has an app for your mobile phone so you can view statuses and control the system from there. This service is about an extra 5 bucks a month depending on your alarm company.

As far as 2-way voice goes, I don't know how much extra they will charge you a month, they may do it for no added cost, but that depends on the monitoring company you decide to go with.