Members Online

97 Guests, 4 Users
molimelight,
tvtech,
stevies3,
murphy62

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: remote phone access to Simon XT fails  (Read 2773 times)

tm

• View Profile
remote phone access to Simon XT fails
« on: June 12, 2011, 09:50:59 AM »
I have a Simon XT (v.1.2) in a remote location that I've accessed remotely via telephone many times over the course of about 3 years to check the status or arm/disarm it. A few months ago I was no longer able to control the panel remotely. It picks up, prompts for the access code, and then either goes silent or the modem tones start.

This is the same way the panel would respond if you supplied an invalid access code. However, I've confirmed the panel is still expecting the access code I am supplying by having someone disarm the panel using the access code directly on the panel. (I've also tried remotely using the dealer and installer access codes, in addition to the user access code, even though I know it should be looking for the user access code. None worked.)

So if the code is correct, is the phone bad? I tried a few different phones on different lines. No change.

Is the touch-tone decoder on the panel broken? It seems to work - at least minimally - as it responds correctly when the panel makes an outbound call and prompts the user to enter * and # to cycle through the status reports. Also, at least some of the time when the panel is called it halts playing its prompt in response to hearing the access code, so it is catching at least some of the digits.

The Simon XT tone decoder has always been slow to respond (easy for it to miss digits if you hit keys quickly), so I made sure to use an analog, land-line phone that outputs tones as long as you hold keys, and several times tried entering the access code while holding each key for 1/2 to 1 second. It didn't help.

Anything else worth trying?
Anyone else see this failure scenario with a Simon XT?

Quarterwave

Re: remote phone access to Simon XT fails
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 02:45:18 PM »
Have you changed phone service providers at the location? Is it a voip type provider or POTS copper?

tm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:14:18 AM »
Have you changed phone service providers at the location?

No.

Is it a voip type provider or POTS copper?

POTS. The line is also used for DSL, and there used to be link stability issues, but the pole-to-house drop was replaced and the modem switched to a different brand. Since then the net connection has been stable.

The alarm panel was responsive to remote phone access for several years proceeding the POTS line cleanup, and for many months after. (Yes, there is a DSL filter installed upstream of the panel. It's possible a component in that filter has failed, though less likely than something in the panel failing. Also, a failed filter would impact the panel's ability to recognize tones when it makes outbound calls.)

Thanks for the suggestions.

stickman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 12:44:43 PM »
I just purchased the Simon XT V1.4.  I'm having the same problem.  I have AT&T DSL and have been unsuccessful controlling Simon using my Verizon Droid X cell phone.  I have a Radio Shack alarm DSL filter connected to the RJ31x jack. >:(

zeke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 09:00:09 AM »
I just started having the same problem with my Simon XT. I was able to access and communicate with the system before but now am unable to. Did you ever get yours to work again? I had just rewired my phone line to bypass the jack that came with the XT so I thought that might have been the issue so after rewiring again it's still the same. No problems at all when panel calls me but when I call the panel it's like it won"t hear the button presses. :o

UPDATE: I went through my wiring again and decided to re-do the connections at the telco block. (It was the only thing I hadn't tried yet.) After re-doing the connections I tried calling the system and what do you know........ everything works as it should. My guess is that the receiving line must not have had good contact at my connection and therefore had "noise" on the line. Works good now. I'd recommend that if you encounter this problem to go though all you wiring connections and make sure you have good connections.

Hope this helps others.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 06:32:49 PM by zeke »