+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

85 Guests, 1 User
Jonathan

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: Ranger American system installed but never activated. Keypad seems to be dead.  (Read 4876 times)

spf2

• View Profile
I just purchased a home that has a Ranger American installed security system (installed 2005).  Model is DSC 1555mx I believe.  There was no battery attached to the system nor was there a phone line connected to the system.  The keypad does not seem to be active (work).  The transformer is plugged into the power socket and is warm to the touch.    I've downloaded the user and install manual already.   Now I've tried to see if it was not functioning due to partition issue.  I  held down the '1' key for 2 seconds but no beep.  I've also tried holding '#' for 2 seconds but no beep either.

Does the system need a battery attached for the system to work?

I have not checked the transformer to see if it was functioning or not.

Any pointers on where to check?

MODS.  Can you move this to the DSC forum.  Thanks.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 05:21:26 AM by spf2 »

Smith Wesson Security

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
    • Smith & Wesson Security Services
We have done a lot of the Ranger American Installs. Depending on where in the world you are, RA had offices that would do some sabotage when they trimmed out the new homes. This way the homeowner couldn't use the system without monitoring. If the power supply is warm then the power is on to the outlet. I would check the power connections in the panel, if they are good, try a new power supply or test the voltage at the panel.
If your located in Central Florida give us a call, 888-761-7992
*****We offer Honeywell equipment, Professional Monitoring, Compass and Total Connect Programming. Tuxedo Keypads, Honeywell panels and parts.
 sawcfl.com

spf2

• View Profile
I just double checked the red cable and it was not properly inserted.  I unplugged the transformer and reinserted the red cable.   I heard the dreaded  installer lock "rattle" followed by a chirp.  At least I know that the system is somewhat working.  Now to see if I can find the installers code.  From reading all the other posts, this is not an easy matter for most.  Wish me luck.   Hopefully someone in the DFW area might know the IC for Ranger American. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:22:15 AM by spf2 »

Smith Wesson Security

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
call me before 5 pm eastern, 1-888-761-7992 and i'll help you out.
*****We offer Honeywell equipment, Professional Monitoring, Compass and Total Connect Programming. Tuxedo Keypads, Honeywell panels and parts.
 sawcfl.com

spf2

• View Profile
Thanks for your help but the IC didn't work   >:(

Smith Wesson Security

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
I will email you the list of codes that I have when I get back to the office.
 sawcfl.com

Static

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
RA had offices that would do some sabotage when they trimmed out the new homes. This way the homeowner couldn't use the system without monitoring.
'Cuz gaining/keeping a customer through friendly, honest service was too much trouble.

@spf2: Check your PMs.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 09:43:19 AM by Static »
I have all the answers . . . some of them are correct.

Smith Wesson Security

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
@static,
can you PM me the code you have? I have several but none seemed to have worked for spf2.
Thanks
 sawcfl.com

spf2

• View Profile
Great news to report.  With Static's help , I was able to reset the IC.  Now its time get the system up and running.   I have problem though.   My panel shows 2 zones that are not working.    I am having an issue deciphering the tech's handwriting.  Maybe someone can help me with what is written in zone #1 and zone #2 in the following picture.

The back door now beeps (like I want it ) when I open it.  The garage entry and front door do not.  I noticed that the garage door has an embedded sensor in the door.  The front door does not.  Could the tech not have completed the install on the front door causing the zone to light up on the panel?   Are all those round sensors universal or do I need to get a specific one.  The garage entry door does not beep when opened so I didn't know if it was wired with the front door.

Static

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Geez, that guy should have been a doctor! He sure has the handwriting of one! My guess would be:

1. I cannot make any sense of this scribble. The first letter looks a little like "K" so I would think Kitchen. However, logic dictates that you must have a delay zone and since there is no front door indicated it may say "Entry"
2. Down (downstairs)
3. Patio D (patio door or doors)
4. Master B (master bedroom)
5. Up W (upstairs windows or upstairs west)

spf2

• View Profile
Well.. I was able to test the zone 1.  The missing magnet contact on the door was causing zone 1 to error.  I used one of my son's building magnet to test it.  It worked. Now to find a contact to put in the door. Do we have approved sites for ordering one of these round magnet contacts.   I hope they have one that is brown like by wood door.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 07:51:55 PM by spf2 »

spf2

• View Profile
Any recommendations on where to purchase one of the round magnet switch part  in a brown door color?

spf2

• View Profile
New update.  I went ahead and just purchased a rare earth magnet with a hole in the center online.  I installed the magnet last night and happy to report .  IT WORKED!.   I am now on the final leg of this journey.  I am trying to find a window sensor or cable run that has been severed ( the last zone).  I have no clue on how to figue this one out.  I'll do some more searching on the forums unless someone so kindly can explain.   ;D

spf2

• View Profile
Well I found my old toning device that has continuos test. I realized that all the connections to the sensors were all attached inside the alarm box.  I traced all the cut connections that were hooked in series in zone 2.  I cut the connections and tested each run/sensor.  After the 4th sensor, I found the bad sensor/run.  So I wired up all the other sensors and the tripped zone 2 is gone.  Now I just need to locate the bad sensor by opening each window to see I get a beep.  But that will have to wait for another day.  At least I can arm the alarm now.  This site has been a life saver.  Static.. I couldn't have done it without your help.  Thanks!!!

Static

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
My pleasure.   :)