+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

66 Guests, 1 User
Static

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: Alarm.com through CPI: Add z-wave devices myself?  (Read 14874 times)

drewmc

• View Profile
Alarm.com through CPI: Add z-wave devices myself?
« on: February 08, 2011, 08:19:57 AM »
I recently had my security system upgraded to include Alarm.com functionality and had CPI add 2 z-wave thermostats and 2 z-wave light dimmers to the system, which are working fine.

I would like to purchase additional z-wave dimmers (mostly the wall switch type), which CPI does not sell because, as I was told, they don't want to be responsible for the electrical wiring aspect of installing them.

Installing the dimmers is no big deal for me as I am fairly DIY capable. However, I don't know how to add them to my z-wave network. I can post pictures of the box if someone can show me how to do it or point me at an instruction manual. Thanks in advance!

mrg

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Alarm.com through CPI: Add z-wave devices myself?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 07:28:26 PM »
You didn't mention the make/model of the alarm so hard to answer your question.  However, Z-Wave devices have a bind button to register the device with the controller (around 3 foot away during process).

drewmc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 11:30:34 AM »
Thanks for your reply. The panel box says R2/S1 and I believe it's a GE. It's CPI's "Real-Time Response" 2-way speaker setup, so the central station comes on the speaker when the alarm is tripped.

Here is a link to the user manual:

http://www.cpisecurity.com/manuals/CPI_Security_R2-S1_user-Manual.pdf

When the original installer connected my new z-wave thermostats, I don't believe he had them anywhere close to the panel. One of the thermostats is on a different floor. I'm not sure if this setup uses a different method to bind devices?

drewmc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 12:31:02 PM »
I do have the installer code for my system, btw. Thanks!

mrg

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 12:45:19 PM »
I suspect that the R2/S1 is a re-badged GE Concord system.  The installer may have used a portable device like the GE 45601 to register the Z-Wave devices.

The following forum post has some pertinent info regarding setup:

http://forum.doityourself.com/archive/index.php/t-401205.html

Are you an Alarm.Com customer (have to be)? Adding zwave devices is done in Installer programming...so you'll need the installer code. Programming is done under "Interactive Services"

drewmc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:37:20 AM »
Well, after going back and forth with CPI, doing a little alarm.com technical support social engineering and trial/error on my part, I got everything to work. The first thing I should note is that you do not need to do anything with the actual panel and do not need the installer code for your system.

I successfully installed Leviton Z-wave in-wall dimmer switches, GE z-wave plug-in lamp and appliance modules, Schlage Link deadbolt and lever locks in addition to the Radio Thermostats CT30 installed by CPI.

Here is a picture of the alarm.com control module, with the z-wave control button circled in red (I whited out any potentially identifying serial numbers):

To add a device, simply press and hold the button (using a smaller jewelers screwdriver helps) until the yellow light (just above the word "Busy", to the left of "Z2") blinks 4 times on, then off for about 2 seconds, then repeats. At this point, press the button or otherwise follow add instructions on your Zwave device to pair it with the module. My system's voice said "Light key nine, on" when pairing. The yellow light will remain solid for a minute or so. Wait for it to go off before adding additional devices.

To exclude/delete a device, press and hold the button until the yellow light blinks 4 times (as above), release the button, then hold it again until the pattern changes to 2 blinks, 2 seconds off, 2 blinks, etc. Press the button on your Zwave device or otherwise follow remove/exclude instructions to remove it from the alarm.com module. As above, the light will remain solid for a minute or so. Wait for it to go off before removing another device.

Once paired, the devices showed up in my alarm.com account on the web within 5 minutes or so where I could rename and control them. They also appeared within the alarm.com app on my iPhone. Easy!

Two things to note:

1) When pairing locks (such as Schlage Link) you must have the device within 3 feet of the alarm.com module. This means you must remove it from the door, bring it to the module and connect the battery to the keypad. Otherwise, it will not pair "securely" and will not work properly. The Leviton dimmers, GE plug-in modules and thermostats pair as long as they are within general Z-wave range (about 60 feet without repeaters, I believe).

2) Your dealer (CPI in my case) must enable your account for each type of alarm.com emPower device (Lights, Locks, Thermostats) so I had to call them and sweet talk them into adding Locks, as I did not originally have that capability. Alarm.com technical support refused to do it, citing policy (fair).

I hope this helps someone out there!

twisted

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 08:44:53 AM »
excellent followup.

mrg

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 02:10:42 PM »
It's rare getting such detailed feedback from the OP, but it's great for the community as it may help someone else in the future.  I only wish more people would post a final update as it's nice to know how things ended up!

Thanks for the information about pairing.  I only understood that there was a "low power inclusion" mode, but it appears that recently a "full power inclusion" mode too that's available for certain devices:

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Full_Power_Inclusion