Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

91 Guests, 2 Users
locknalarm,
n057

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: 2GIG Technologies  (Read 25220 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
    • Home Security Store
2GIG Technologies
« on: September 25, 2010, 09:37:26 AM »
Home Security Store is testing this new “Go! Control” panel from 2GIG Technologies. The first self-contained, all-in-one security and home management system. The system includes a built-in GSM radio enabling 2-way voice. I’m very pleased with the system and would like the input from forum members.

Sir Flannel

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 2GIG Technologies
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 06:57:33 PM »
We have just started using these systems. They're quite neat little systems, and the GSM module is much easier to enroll than the Ademco products we had tried. Programming is reasonably easy, and it can use ademco wireless, which is a very neat option for a replacement product. There is supposedly a downloader software, but I haven't seen it on their websight. Still not totally jazzed at the AIW factor, but it is a neat product.
We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. -John Adams

Virtual Monitoring

• Security Guru
  • ANY panel - ANY camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 05:53:22 AM »
Have you tested the 2-way voice over GSM? - I'd be interested to know how many calls you've made and how many were succesful.

Does the panel stay online after making a 2-way call, or does the Central have to use callback?

Sir Flannel

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 07:32:37 AM »
No, we haven't tried to test the two way GSM yet. We haven't had a request for it. So far we're only using it as a telco replacement.
We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other. -John Adams

dhmorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 10:33:16 AM »
I am very interested in this system, but am frustrated and curious as well.  I like the look of the system, and the room for future growth built into it.  That said, is it true that there is only one siren, it is only 85dB, and it is located in the main unit?  I do not see any siren accessories listed anywhere.  That seems like a big negative.

Furthermore, while the control panel seems state-of-the-art, the keypad accessory looks awful and hardly useful.  Can I add additional control panels throughout the house?  Which, of course, leads me to the next point:

The all-in-one design is annoying in my opinion as you cannot keep the base unit separate and secure from potential intruders.  Furthermore, the two-way audio is not helpful if I am trapped on the other side of my house when the monitoring station is speaking through the control panel downstairs.

This system would be approaching awesome if (in my opinion and in my case):
* they offered additional sirens, perhaps including both indoor and outdoor models with strobe functionality.
* They allowed additional control panels to be placed in different areas of the house for redundancy and convenience (which I admit, they might.  I don't know and have not been able to get an answer from them yet)
* They offered recessed window and door contacts like the Ion Security Plunger and Micra.

Any thoughts or clarifications would be appreciated.  I am a guy shopping for a new system who really loves the Alexor but wishes he could also have the features of the 2GIG/Alarm.com set-up. 

Lastly, I am also quick to admit that I am new to this stuff.  Is one able to mix and match certain accessories?  MIght I be able to use an external siren and strobe, or recessed window sensor, etc. with the 2GIG Go! even though they do not offer it themselves?  That would be great news!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 10:35:09 AM by dhmorrow »

Sir Flannel

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 05:07:21 PM »
I am very interested in this system, but am frustrated and curious as well.  I like the look of the system, and the room for future growth built into it.  That said, is it true that there is only one siren, it is only 85dB, and it is located in the main unit?  I do not see any siren accessories listed anywhere.  That seems like a big negative.

There are terminals for an external sounder, 6-12VDC 120mA, which is about the specs for an Ademco WAVE2 IIRC

Furthermore, while the control panel seems state-of-the-art, the keypad accessory looks awful and hardly useful.  Can I add additional control panels throughout the house?  Which, of course, leads me to the next point:

The all-in-one design is annoying in my opinion as you cannot keep the base unit separate and secure from potential intruders.  Furthermore, the two-way audio is not helpful if I am trapped on the other side of my house when the monitoring station is speaking through the control panel downstairs.

Yes, you can have additional keypads (wireless). I don't know how well they work, but they' exist. I do also agree with the limitations of the AIW systems, but I'm not the salesman. All I can do is educate, and hope.

This system would be approaching awesome if (in my opinion and in my case):
* they offered additional sirens, perhaps including both indoor and outdoor models with strobe functionality.
* They allowed additional control panels to be placed in different areas of the house for redundancy and convenience (which I admit, they might.  I don't know and have not been able to get an answer from them yet)
* They offered recessed window and door contacts like the Ion Security Plunger and Micra.

The 2gig systems can use the Ademco 5800 series wireless devices, which include a very small recessed transmitter similar to the Ion. It also supports wireless keypads, and it has the option for an external siren. I do not think it supports the wireless wiren that Ademco makes, unfortunately.

Any thoughts or clarifications would be appreciated.  I am a guy shopping for a new system who really loves the Alexor but wishes he could also have the features of the 2GIG/Alarm.com set-up. 

Lastly, I am also quick to admit that I am new to this stuff.  Is one able to mix and match certain accessories?  MIght I be able to use an external siren and strobe, or recessed window sensor, etc. with the 2GIG Go! even though they do not offer it themselves?  That would be great news!
Hope that helps

Rocketguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 07:22:54 PM »
Does the 2GIG system need to be monitored in order for the cellular (GSM) feature to work properly? The following quote on the order page makes me think it needs to be monitored. Can you clarify? Thanks.

PLEASE NOTE: In order for the 2GIGCNTRL2-KIT to offer true smartphone & cellular application, you must be enrolled in an Alarm Monitoring program. For more information, please visit our Alarm Monitoring page.

Virtual Monitoring

• Security Guru
  • ANY panel - ANY camera
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 04:30:52 AM »
Yep - you need to sign up with alarm.com otherwise the cellular communicator is useless  :(

Rocketguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 02:05:08 PM »
I see. I'm not opposed to that as long as my HO insurance drops by enough to pretty much offset the fee from Alarm.com. I'll need to check on that.

Using GSM, it sounds like the system calls the central station who then calls the owner i.e. the system never calls the owner, correct?

Also, I see a super switch in it's accessories which looks like it wirelessly communicates events from wired sensors to the controller. Is that what it does? This feature would be great for me because my home has a bunch of wired sensors. Is this super switch difficult to install?

One other question. It sounds like Ademco sensors/accessories work with this. Is that correct? Are there any wrinkles related to using Ademco products with this. I like the Ademco Asset Protector for attaching to safes. I think I could use this.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 02:11:56 PM by Rocketguy »

shockey67

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • ICUBadguy
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 10:23:17 PM »
I have installed a few of them just to compete in my area. they look and operate much better than the SimonXT and the transformer is small enough that i dont mind pluggin in to a wall outlet below the panel. there is one section in programming that can stump you as the new manual does not explain anything (get the old one online) the Motion detectors can be tricky and fall asleep for over 5 minutes which makes testing a pain. I have had sensors just disappear off the system. You have know way of knowing if a smoke detector has learned in or not. When a motion is in test mode, it will not trip the zone. the interface is cool and it is easy to use.  The devices are cheap (So is the price) still on the fence as I am not sure if the product can be trusted. it is hard to eat warranty service when you have no margin. The panel looks good, the accessories look cheap and second rate.

rfalls

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 07:34:23 PM »
I just bought a system as well. Want to hardwire the power rather than having a plug dangling into a socket. Has anyone done a hardwire power connection and if so, can you offer instructions to a first time installer. thx

wayneegower

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 11:47:46 PM »
 I am grateful for publishing this article. It is a very helpful article. We will take many things in this site.So want information about this entry.

mikesmith

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 08:02:30 PM »
hello, can anyone tell me how to get my 2gig control panel to dial out, it keeps saying Connection Failure, PDP denied. thanks.

security123guy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 12:11:16 AM »
hello, can anyone tell me how to get my 2gig control panel to dial out, it keeps saying Connection Failure, PDP denied. thanks.

If you are not being monitored by a 3rd party security company, then your GSM module will not work. Just like a cell phone, you must have a cellular provider in order to make calls out. This is what a 3rd party security/monitoring station does...they pay Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon, Rogers, etc. to make calls out on your system. PDP Denied errors means you either are not paying for 3rd party monitoring services or at the time you tested your system the cell network that you are on was down.

If you are looking to receive notifications that your system is going off without paying a 3rd party, AND you have a landline telephone, one thing you can try (I have not attempted this yet, but I think it would work) is to run your security system through your landline and in question #11 of the system config, enter your cell phone number. So long as your phone lines haven't been snipped, the system should dial out to your cell phone any time an alarm goes off.

security123guy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 12:17:17 AM »
I just bought a system as well. Want to hardwire the power rather than having a plug dangling into a socket. Has anyone done a hardwire power connection and if so, can you offer instructions to a first time installer. thx

From what I have been told, the panel runs off of DC (direct current) and the plug is necessary to regulate the voltage at 12.5v. It is not difficult to hide the wire in behind the wall with a hole behind the panel and a hole behind the electrical outlet cover plate where you will be plugging the system in.