Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

97 Guests, 2 Users
KrisM3,
axofsguaf

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: DSC Power 832 "keybus fault"  (Read 3356 times)

DIYwife

• View Profile
DSC Power 832 "keybus fault"
« on: April 16, 2010, 04:25:28 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how to use the security system in our new home. Yesterday afternoon, I figured out the master code and was able to test drive the system and understand the setup.

Today, the keypads had no power. I had a look inside the control panel and discovered that a red wire coming from the power source was not plugged in. Presumably I had been running on battery power. Its companion black wire was plugged in.

So I plugged the red wire into the hole marked "AC" (farthest on the left) and fired it up. Now I'm getting the error "Keybus fault -- call for service".

I've cut the power and unplugged the red wire again -- now I'm wondering what the heck I just did and if I've damaged the panel or otherwise screwed things up. (!)

Clearly the unit needs a power source other than the battery. Should the red wire be plugged in somewhere else?

I'm attempting to post an image as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ServiceGuy25

• Security Guru
  • Ademco,DSC,DMP,Napco
    • View Profile
Re: DSC Power 832 "keybus fault"
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 05:08:30 PM »
You are correct with the location of the red wire.

It is saying keybus fault because the keypad is not communicating with the panel. These panels can act funny if not powered up properly. Remove all power and plug in battery first then the red ac wire.

If that doesn't work then you try disconnecting all keypads at the panel and power up one at a time to see if a keypad circuit is shorting out. The terminals are marked red,blk,grn,yel on the panel. Also check the connections at each keypad to make sure they are all plugged in properly.

If the system hasn't been maintained in a while your issue could also be related to a bad battery. As a last resort try powering the system up with out the battery installed. You may possibly need a replacement especially if its older than five years.
The Fish
Service Technician

DIYwife

• View Profile
Re: DSC Power 832 "keybus fault"
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 06:19:53 PM »
Thank you so much, ServiceGuy25.

I did as you suggested -- powered down, plugged in battery and then the red wire and powered up -- and voila, system is back working again. : )

Happy, happy DIYwife and happy DIYhusband, too.

Thanks again; I never would have thought it was a simple process error.