+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

109 Guests, 0 Users

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: DSC MD12 Modem  (Read 11429 times)

cwjr

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
DSC MD12 Modem
« on: December 20, 2004, 04:24:06 PM »
I've been using DLS 2002 with a panel using PCLink direct cable and it works fine.  I aquired an MD12 and cannot get it to work with the same PC and panel. I can hear the modem dial, I can hear the panel answer with modem tone, but the two never "connect". I've tried every setting I can think of in DLS, and am a little frustrated.  Any tips?

Todd

• Gold Member
  • I'm not only a llama.
    • View Profile
Re:DSC MD12 Modem
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 12:51:58 PM »
Have you changed the panel (404) or download (403) codes?  They have to match what is in the file on your DLS software.  Otherwise the panel will refuse to connect.

When you say that the modems do not connect, what sounds do you hear?  Are the modem tones changing or do they reach some constant note and then the speaker cuts off?

esve

• Gold Member
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 01:56:39 PM »
Hi!

I have the same problem.

The modems tones changing and then reach some constant note and then the speaker cuts off.

What have I done wrong?

//Walden
 ???

Todd

• Gold Member
  • I'm not only a llama.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 05:10:59 PM »
Well, based on the tones you are hearing (and some wild guesses on my part) I think the panel is rejecting your call.  Did either of you check to make sure the panel and download codes match?  If they don't, the panel will hang up on you.

esve

• Gold Member
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 11:47:05 PM »
The panel and download codes are set by default.

cwjr

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 02:50:02 PM »
Hi Todd,

Sorry it took so long for me to respond.

As you probably know, typically when two modems connect (and you have speaker turned on), you will hear the devices "sync".  It will go from two or three discreet tones, to more of a "scrambled" sound.  I'm guessing for the panel to reject by reason of the codes, this handshaking and "syncing" would need to take place first. Since the panel is a modem talking to the MD12 modem, I would expect the same type of action and sound, and I don't.  Its as if the two never "sync" and start communicating.  Just the two discreet tones for 10 seconds or so, and then hangup.

Todd

• Gold Member
  • I'm not only a llama.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 05:52:58 PM »
Ah, my mistake.  I thought "The modems tones changing and then reach some constant note and then the speaker cuts off" meant that you were getting carrier and then sync and then a disconnect.

Clearly that isn't happening.  You are getting carrier but no sync - as if the carriers are not being recognized.

And if you say you are trying every setting in the DLS software I bet you've tried the different baud rates, etc, and that hasn't helped either.

If you've used PC-LINK successfully, then the panel must be close to the PC.  Are you connecting via the MD12 over that same short distance or are you calling in from a remote or far away location and now having trouble?  Perhaps line quality is the problem if you are calling from far away but if you are close by then that likely isn't it either.

I am not familiar with the MD12 at all, only modems in general.  I know that the MD12 uses a rather low baud rate.  You could try setting your PC COM port to 300 baud and using the 300 baud setting in the DLS software but I'm not too hopeful that will work.

Perhaps someone that knows a lot more about MD12's will lend a hand here.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 06:11:00 PM by Todd »

Dafecat

• View Profile
Re: DSC MD12 Modem
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 08:11:19 AM »
In most cases, this should fix your problem.

The default modem strings programmed inside the MD12 are set for certain countries, Canada being one of them.  The default settings will not work well for many overseas countries.

The issue is that the modem is looking for a specific telecommunications line voltage when the modem is attempting to connect to a panel.  Quite often the modem will have time to dial out it's number, very soon after this, the modems analysis of the line voltage comes back and says that there is no line detected, because the line voltage the modem is searching for is not present.  The modem operation seizes at this point.

The DSC DLS software can override this setting and tell the modem to continue it's operation, regardless of the line voltages.  This is required in New Zealand.

In the DLS software, go to the modem configuration page for the MD12 modem.  There is an option which is set by default that tells the modem to monitor the line connection.  Change this setting to tell it not to monitor the line connection.  Apply this setting. Now you should be able to dial without any issues.

If you are not using the DLS software to dial into your panels, you will need to find out how to insert the X0 modem initialization string into the MD12 modem.  The X0 string tells the modem to disregard the fact there may be no detected carrier and to continue it's operation regardless.
You may need to telnet this command to the MD12 modem.

Here is a relevant link:  http://www.activexperts.com/activcomport/tutorials/modem/

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 08:16:15 AM by Dafecat »