+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

56 Guests, 0 Users

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: How to connect fire sprinklers to dsc Alexor alarm?  (Read 6442 times)

hsecurity

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
How to connect fire sprinklers to dsc Alexor alarm?
« on: November 14, 2009, 07:45:17 PM »
I have recently ordered dsc alexor alarm and will be installing it soon. My house is equipment with fire sprinkler all over the house. Any suggestion on how I possible can connect my fire sprinklers to the alarm system? I plan on changing one of my smoke detectors for wireless one so i can connect it to the alarm system but can't figure out how to do it for the fire sprinklers

Thank you for any suggestion.

ServiceGuy25

• Security Guru
  • Ademco,DSC,DMP,Napco
    • View Profile
Re: How to connect fire sprinklers to dsc Alexor alarm?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 07:54:25 PM »
You can use a waterflow switch. Its a device that mounts to the main water pipe feed. It has a paddle that goes into the pipe and will trigger when water starts flowing. I would recommend sprinkler professionals only for that. ;)
The Fish
Service Technician

hsecurity

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 07:59:48 PM »
Interesting idea, will have to look in to it.  Edit:When sprinklers water start running, does water pressure drop?

willbill808

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 08:09:09 PM »
Leave your existing smoke detectors as is- they are required for code compliance. Add wireless ones as needed for your alarm panel- usually one per floor will do fine.

As for your sprinkler system- You may or may not be able to connect your alarm panel to a waterflow switch. If the Alexor series has a wired zone/device monitor available, then you would probably be able to. You definitely must get a fire sprinkler guy out to install a waterflow switch. When water flows through any sprinkler head, it causes the flow switch to close, changing the position of the switch(es) inside the unit. Hook the common and N/O from the flow switch to a hardwired zone or monitor programmed for fire alarm response. Before doing anything though, contact your local AHJ and tell him what you want to do. He may not allow this type of fire sprinkler monitoring.
Semi-serious DIY'er- installing a security and fire system. Also learning about related fields.

hsecurity

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 08:13:03 PM »
My house was build in 2002, and has smoke detector in every room. I am just planing on replacing the existing smoke detector with wireless one so i can connect it to the alarm system.

Regarding fire sprinkler thanks for suggestion, this is down the line but i for sure will check with ahj and also with sprinkler installers.

I know that my fire bell will go off when water pressure goes down, not sure if that will trigger my smoke detectors.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 08:14:55 PM by hsecurity »

KSSPA

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 08:17:33 PM »
I know that my fire bell will go off when water pressure goes down, not sure if that will trigger my smoke detectors.

How could your fire bell trigger your smoke detectors?

willbill808

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 08:20:13 PM »
My house was build in 2002, and has smoke detector in every room. I am just planing on replacing the existing smoke detector with wireless one so i can connect it to the alarm system.

You cannot do that unless your AHJ says you can. If those smoke detectors are hardwired, then the chances are slim to none.

Regarding fire sprinkler thanks for suggestion, this is down the line but i for sure will check with ahj and also with sprinkler installers.

I know that my fire bell will go off when Wat pressure goes down, not sure if that will trigger my smoke detectors.

As far as your sprinkler installers go, ask them after you have everything cleared up with your AHJ- your AHJ is the boss of all building and fire code related work that goes on in your city.

Hope this helps you out, and that's not a bad idea connecting your sprinkler system to your alarm panel. Gotta work those legal issues out first though.

He means waterflow triggering his smoke detectors. and unless his system has the ability to sound all wireless detectors during a fire, that cannot be done.
Semi-serious DIY'er- installing a security and fire system. Also learning about related fields.

hsecurity

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 08:20:33 PM »

Fire bell is connected to my smoke detectors. Like i said, i am not sure if it can set off my smoke detector(s) when it goes off.

hsecurity

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 08:23:25 PM »
Thanks WILL, will check with AHJ and yes smoke dtectors are all hardwired. Looking at wireless smoke detectors, they look like they can be hardwire as well which what I was planing on doing.

willbill808

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 08:24:18 PM »
I'm a bit confused here. I get that your waterflow switch is connected to your fire bell. Are your existing smoke detectors also connected to the same fire bell? When they sound, does your fire bell sound?

hsecurity

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 08:28:12 PM »
I'm a bit confused here. I get that your waterflow switch is connected to your fire bell. Are your existing smoke detectors also connected to the same fire bell? When they sound, does your fire bell sound?
The fire sprinklers flow pressure and smoke detectors are both connected to the fire bell. If i open my fire sprinkler pressure release on full and it detects water flow, it will sound off(i guess it will also happen if my sprinkler go off but i am just speculating). I haven't checked if my smoke detector will go off when i set it off with water pressure release.

Edit:If smoke detectors go off, fire bell will also go off

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 09:35:12 PM »
Then you may already have a flow switch in place.  Most flow switches are a red box attached to the sprinker riser, above the check valve assembly.  Whether or not the water pressure will drop depends on if your sprinkler system is fed from the home's cold water supply, or if you're using a municipal fire main.  Most likely, it's fed from the cold water supply since this is a residence, so you may experience a drop in water pressure.  Most sprinkler heads dump water at appx. 30 gallons a minute.

There may be ways to get a signal from the flow switch to the alarm control.  The idea popping into my head is a wireless contact that has an external zone input (the DSC equivalent of an Ademco 5816) connected to the flow switch.  I'm not telling you to do that  -- it's merely a possibility.  Not the best, but if the system's an all-in-one wireless and you don't have a hardwired zone input, it's kind of a stretch to get your goal accomplished in a manner acceptable by the AHJ.

The AHJ absolutely, positively, and entirely has the last word in anything you may do.  No matter what we advise that can and can't be done, it's all ideas, the AHJ is the absolute final say.

Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

hsecurity

• Security Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 09:41:45 PM »
Dboyle thanks for that reply and suggestion. Yes I have redbox which what got openned the last time i set off my fire bell by opening the sprinklers release flow.....ops, i learn the hard way :D). Once i get system fully set up, i will check AJH to see what is permitted in my area.

Edit:Yes it's fed from the cold water supply

SactoBob

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 08:07:08 AM »
Just to be sure you know. If it's similar to mine, the bell is not low voltage, but 110 AC. Those red boxes usually have 2 relays, one for the bell and one for a low voltage setup. Make sure you don't use the bell side or bad things will happen. If you only have one contact then you'll need a 110v relay for the low voltage side that can be used in parallel to the bell.

dknull

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 08:20:16 AM »
In addition to wireless capability up to 32 zones, Alexor has two wired connections that can be programmed either as zone inputs or PGM outputs.
Always learning.... sometimes the hard way.