+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

67 Guests, 1 User
thejimr

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: DIY Replacement Brinks BHS-3000 - Please suggest a system for me  (Read 7130 times)

DietDew

• View Profile
DIY Replacement Brinks BHS-3000 - Please suggest a system for me
« on: November 14, 2009, 09:55:31 AM »
I have a "deactivated" BHS3000 installed in my home. The home is less than 10 years old.
This is a hardwired system with:
(2) Keypads
(3) door contacts
(1) Glass break / sound discriminator (Flexguard FG1615)
(1) Motion sensor
(1) Siren
(1) External flashing strobe light

>I am not interested in monitoring services or internet access.  My home is surrounded by retirees who constantly look out for the neighborhood.  What I want is simply to have the siren go off and the external strobe light to flash in the unlikely event there is a break-in.  This is more for peace of mind while sleeping - or for when we are out of town.  I have faith in the deterrent effects of lights and noise - and nosy neighbors.

>I would like to remove the Brinks panel and keypads and re-use rest.  What panel would be advised and what items (perhaps the siren will not be compatible and need replaced).

ServiceGuy25

• Security Guru
  • Ademco,DSC,DMP,Napco
    • View Profile
Re: DIY Replacement Brinks BHS-3000 - Please suggest a system for me
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 10:05:51 AM »
All you will have to replace is the keypads, main panel, and power supply. All else you listed will work including the siren. I like DSC and Ademco products. You can check some of the products from this site. Good luck ;)
The Fish
Service Technician

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 11:56:46 AM »
DSC and GE's NX-8 systems are excellent.  Although the GE's install manual isn't in any way for the "do it yourselfer".  DSC, GE, Napco, and Ademco are all professional systems and will do what you want with little programming.

Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

willbill808

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 01:31:32 PM »
An Ademco Vista board should pop right in your existing cabinet. If you don't care about keeping the cabinet and are willing to install a whole new panel, go with a DSC or GE.

Brinks panels have built in siren drivers, and you may need to replace your siren, if it was wired to the panel's driver.
Semi-serious DIY'er- installing a security and fire system. Also learning about related fields.

rf900r

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 02:15:43 PM »
I did just that a little while ago. The DSC KIT32-219 worked perfectly for me. The wiring is straight forward and the programming was not too bad after reading the manual. I did have to purchase a new siren. The DSC key fob is a lot better than the brinks as the buttons require a bit of pressure so false settings are no longer going to be a problem.

I mounted a small pizzo buzzer outside the home to the bell output and programed a squawk when arming or dis-arming. Very handy for knowing the key fob signal was recieved. I mounted the siren to PGM#2 and programed it to code 01 that sets it off with an alarm. Be sure to set a long PGM output time for it.

Hope this helps

jrogers1126

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 12:31:23 PM »
So, I had the same brinks system, and chose to buy the same DSC kit, which went in nicely (took me a bit to get the hang of a few things, but overall not bad)
 I had to install a new siren because the Brinks one was missing (fun time finding where the wire for it went!)

Everything is working nicely now except the glass-break.  If I clap my hands or bang pots by it, or throw keys against a nearby window (not too hard now!), I see the green LED on the sensor mounted on the ceiling blink, but it doesn't seem to trip the system.  I had the system armed in away mode, and the zone is configured as 'interior'

Is there a configuration step I've missed?  I powered the sensor off Aux, and connected the other two wires to a zone. 

How do I troubleshoot this further?

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 06:25:02 PM »
The hand clap is typically an audio walk-test that doesn't actually trip the glassbreak.  A lot of the flex glassbreaks must hear the thud of an object striking the glass, followed by the pitch of glass breaking.  Whenever it hears the pitch only, the LED will blink without actually opening the alarm contacts. 

What you're seeing is typical.  Even with a specialty glassbreak tester, I still have trouble getting them to activate to the point where the system trips.  Guess you just have to have faith.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

jrogers1126

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 07:06:11 AM »
I have faith in the hardware, just not in myself.  Sounds like I have it wired/configured correctly, but it haven't successfully tripped it.

Thanks for the insight.

stebs

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 10:51:28 PM »
With the panel armed, pop the cover off the detector and pull one of the wires off that go to the panel. This should put the panel in alarm on that zone. If you have any motion detectors in the area, you might have to manually bypass those first to keep them from tripping.