Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

76 Guests, 2 Users
Reeber73,
tvtech

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: New to alarms, forums, please help me troubleshoot. RFK5501/PC1616  (Read 17825 times)

jamisonfitz

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
Ok, im new to this forum and im looking for some insight on what i should try. I am a renter, there was a alarm installed when we moved in but we never used it, in fact the transformer wasn't even wired up or plugged in... The keypad is a RFK5501-433 and the board is a PC1616 v4... i messed with the board a few times but didn't want to screw it up or fry it trying to hook the transformer up, but after reading a bit about it i decided to go ahead and power it up, at the very least id be happy with just being able to set it as night even if it wont dial out or anything.

The first time i powered it on it kept beeping and gave the trouble light, the only paperwork or manuals i could find in the house was a DSC cheat sheet for disarming zones, setting time, etc... i got error codes 1,3 and 8, i set the time no problem but still had the other two codes.

I took a closer look at the board and noticed the phone line wasnt hooked up, im not sure where the phone line ties into the system but there was only one wire not hooked up to anything so so i stripped it down and hooked up both lines... im not even sure what error code 1 and or 3 are but i found a cheat sheet for a specific alarm co online and it said 1 was needs servicing and 3 is communications problems... Now, im sure this makes things a lot worse and perhaps you get this a lot but i have VOIP, however im not to worried with getting the system to dial out at this point... and if i could get the system working i wouldn't mind switching to a POTS line... Ive read numerous articles about alarms and VOIP and when i lived in FL i had ADT and had to use a cellular backup because we had VOIP there as well. Anyway i figured out how to hook my VOIP modem up to all the lines in the house, this was easy because the home has never had phone access so its not hooked up to the telco at all and therefor cant fry the modem... so there's a dial tone on all jacks in the house... outside theres just a wire hanging waiting to have phone service connected to it, im not sure if i would need to short any wires outside or not being there isnt a actual box attached to the home.

I know im all over the place here but im just trying to run down all of my troubleshooting ive tried so far... If i disable each zone the alarm will arm, otherwise it wont, ive pulled the wireless door sensors out and they are hard wired so power isnt a issue... although the front door looks like the magnet that sticks to the door is missing... also as you'll see in the photos ive attached the window sensors look misaligned... im not sure if thats an issue but it seems like it would be, ive tried opening the window to where the sensors line up but it doesnt seem to change anything... also i dont know who installed the alarm, the houses are town homes and it was probably done in bulk... i know the guy wasn't to smart because my access box is mount upside down, meaning the board is at the bottom so there is no room for the backup battery to sit inside the box... i guessed the default code of 1234. At this point im just wanting to figure out what the error codes are and fix them so i can arm the system. All the systems sensors are hardwired... Ive included a photo of the install perhaps someone will see something that's off... the keypad does have front door, back door, window, etc written on the list so i assume the zones have been set but im not sure, im assuming a professional didn't install the system so the programming code should be the default... If anyone can help please do, im going out of town for half of next month and would like to have something in place since it is there and installed....

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 06:52:33 AM by jamisonfitz »

jamisonfitz

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
Re: New to alarms, forums, please help me troubleshoot.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:54:41 PM »
UPDATE
Okay, i found the installers manual online, the installers code is still the default 5555... so that saves me from having to reset it, for the sake of getting the code atleast. I also figured how to figure out exactly what error code 1 the system is reporting, mine is 2 which from what i can tell is the bell circuit, which sure enough the bell is not hooked up, i didnt know it needed to be... would this stop me from arming the system though? As i had read some where error 3 was low voltage on the phone line, i suppose i could hook a jack up to the wire that i connected to the system board and see if it is in fact tied into the house... would these two codes stop the system from arming? I'd rather focus my energy on getting the system to arm than these two minor things.

Also im not quite sure how to hook the bell up, its siren SD 15W ULF...

UPDATE 2
Scratch that, i found the info on this forum, just going to use the black as ground, and red for the warble tone and clip/tape the rest. Not sure it gets me any closer to where i need to be but none the less its hopefully one less error code.

UPDATE 3
Okay, i got the bell hooked up, reset the system and the error code 1 disappeared, imagine that. I still have error code 3 however. I disconnected the only wired i mentioned that wasnt connected to anything in the box. (I previously assumed it was the phone line and hooked it up as so.) However i spliced a jack into the line and got no dial tone, so its not a phone line, i have a dial tone on every jack in the house, however as i mentioned earlier there is no box of any sort out side... just the phone line waiting to be hooked up, is there anything i need to do outside? I highly doubt the installer didnt bother to run the phone line to the board. Perhaps its behind the box and i just cant see it, i suppose ill put it all down tomorrow so the backup battery can sit inside the box. My only guess what the wire was for if its not the phone line is since the bell wasnt hooked up that some where in the house the wire is ran to, and the bell was going to be installed in that location, now if i only knew where. Sorry to keep bumping this thread, but id rather keep anyone you might be able to help updated instead of wasting someones time.

UPDATE 4
AGGGH, So i just spent a good while removing everything so i could flip the box, unfortunately i didn't realize why they had it that way (wrong as it may be) the outlet box that contain the wires was placed to close to the power outlet, therefor you can spin the box upright because with the wires running through the back it would cause the box to overlap the outlet, so that was a no go. Not that it would of fixed anything but i was curious if the phone line had slipped behind the box or something... perhaps the wire in there is the phone line and im just having issues because theres not a actual box outside, im not sure?

@MMMDEE, Thanks i appreciate it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:28:41 AM by jamisonfitz »

MmmDee

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 10:57:10 PM »
Oops, you beat me to the posting... be sure you have both the User Manual and the Installation Manuals.

In addition to whatever kind of "cheat sheet" you have, you should get the:

User Manual

Installer Manual

Someone with background on DSC equipment will be along shortly  :)

KSSPA

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 12:33:28 AM »
Are you planning on having the system monitored through the phone line?  You have to subscribe to a monitoring service for that.

The wire you thought was the phone wire might "be" the phone wire. If the phone line was run properly, the other end should be outside in the telco box so that the system can be wired for line seizure in the event the homeowner decided have the system monitored. Look for it there.

"If the phone line was run properly", which is a big if, after all the panel is mounted upside down.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:36:42 AM by KSSPA »

jamisonfitz

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 12:40:55 AM »
Are you planning on having the system monitored through the phone line?  You have to subscribe to a monitoring service for that.

The wire you thought was the phone wire might "be" the phone wire. If the phone line was run properly, the other end should be outside in the telco box so that the system can be wired for line seizure in the event the homeowner decided have the system monitored. Look for it there.

"If the phone line was run properly", which is a big if, after all the panel is mounted upside down.

Im simply trying to get the system to arm, im not to worried about it calling out or anything, the only reason im trying to solve the issue is to remove the trouble light, which im not even sure will solve the problem, at this point im assuming the trouble light, which is just error code 3, is keeping the system from being armed? Is this accurate? If so is there a way of disabling the system from trying to reach out?

Also there is no box outside, theres never been phone service here, the house is new and theres simply a wire hanging out of the side of the house for the phone to be hooked up.

dknull

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 06:53:06 AM »
To disable the communicator:

*8 [installer code] 380

You will probably see the number 1 appear on the keypad.  Press the 1 button and this number should disappear.  Then press the # key a couple of times to get out of programming. 

That should do it.
Always learning.... sometimes the hard way.

jamisonfitz

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 06:58:41 AM »
To disable the communicator:

*8 [installer code] 380

You will probably see the number 1 appear on the keypad.  Press the 1 button and this number should disappear.  Then press the # key a couple of times to get out of programming.  

That should do it.

Okay thanks, i tried this, the system goes green after hitting 1, i hit # and it goes into lock i hit # again and im out of the menu, but the trouble light is still on for error 3?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 07:10:36 AM by jamisonfitz »

dknull

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: New to alarms, forums, please help me troubleshoot. RFK5501/PC1616
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 07:14:56 AM »
Yes, however, turning on communication is just the beginning.  You would also need to put in phone numbers, set up the codes that get sent to the monitoring service, and lots more.  This is all in section 3xx of the panel programming.  See the installation manual, and also download the "Reference Manual" for the Powerseries panels for more detailed explanations.

If and when you sign up for monitoring, you should try to find a service that is DIY friendly.  They will help you with the right setups for your panel, and can actually download them over the phone line.  One such company is Alarm Relay (www.alarmrelay.com).  There are others, and I suspect you may get some input on that from other forum members. 

When shopping for monitoring, be aware that depending on the company you will have a basic monthly fee, probably a one-time setup fee, and if using something other than POTS you may have additional monthly fees.  Figure all of this out, including the cost for the phone service (cellular, POTS, VOIP, internet) and do the math.

jamisonfitz

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 07:39:59 AM »
Right now im trying to disable communications to bypass error code 3 and arm the system (not sure if error codes keep you from arming system or not?), im not worried about it dialing out at this time. I went into 367 and disabled each number as well as 380 and disabling communications but i still have error 3. Ive also reset all the sensors... however im not sure how to set my keypad to global mode or if id need to, from what ive read i need to to see what zones are open, etc... is this the only way to tell? I wouldn't think the alarm wouldnt arm simply because there is no phone line...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 08:03:45 AM by jamisonfitz »

MrRonFL

• Security Guru
  • NICET III #121766
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 02:54:39 PM »
One pecularity of DSC: To clear the communication trouble even after your turn off the communicator function, you have to power cycle the the control (and reset the time/date, of course).

Do _not_ set the keypad to global.  It doesn't mean what you _think_ it means.

Since you have one of the fixed alpha keypads, the open zones are displayed with the small row of numbers across the top of the display (not DSC's best design concept...).
The Truth of Thermodynamics:
You can't win; you cant' break even; and you can't get out of the Game.

dknull

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 03:19:24 PM »
One pecularity of DSC: To clear the communication trouble even after your turn off the communicator function, you have to power cycle the the control (and reset the time/date, of course).

Do _not_ set the keypad to global.  It doesn't mean what you _think_ it means.

Since you have one of the fixed alpha keypads, the open zones are displayed with the small row of numbers across the top of the display (not DSC's best design concept...).

Sorry I forgot to mention power cycle to reset the fault.

Actually, on a PK5501 or RFK5501, open zones appear on the display cycling through the list as large numbers, one at a time, if you press the > or < key on the keypad.  The small numbers at the top show you programming options when in programming mode, but not open zones.  These panels (1616, 1832, 1864) have too many zones to show with the row of digits.

Having the fault won't stop you from arming, but you can easily clear it now that you know how.

jamisonfitz

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 03:31:12 PM »

Do _not_ set the keypad to global.  It doesn't mean what you _think_ it means.

Sorry I forgot to mention power cycle to reset the fault.

Actually, on a PK5501 or RFK5501, open zones appear on the display cycling through the list as large numbers, one at a time, if you press the > or < key on the keypad.  The small numbers at the top show you programming options when in programming mode, but not open zones.  These panels (1616, 1832, 1864) have too many zones to show with the row of digits.

Having the fault won't stop you from arming, but you can easily clear it now that you know how.

Thanks, i power cycled the system and it still has the error 3 but if it wont stop me from arming the system its not a huge priority. If the numbers that flash are open zones, 1 through 6 flash on my keypad after every function. If i disable 2,3,4 and 5 the system will arm, do you know what would cause this? The sensors are hardwired so its not a power issue, like i mentioned in the photo of the window, the sensors seem misaligned perhaps the whole system is screwed and thats why ive had so much trouble with it. The digits im talking about are big not the small ones, i cant get those to show, is the big digits just zone checks?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 03:33:18 PM by jamisonfitz »

KSSPA

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 04:00:58 PM »
It doesn't look like the system is using EOL resistors. Make sure the system is programmed to not use EOL resistors.

If you still show the open zone you can use a wire to short across each zone one at a time and see if the zone clears.

I'm just taking a stab in the dark so if I'm wrong, someone please correct me  :-\

MrRonFL

• Security Guru
  • NICET III #121766
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 04:16:50 PM »
Oh, I forgot the number scroll (did I mention that I'm not fond of this keypad design..?).

Trouble 3 is phone line trouble.  Turn off option 7 in location 015 (telephone line monitor).

Since I don't see resistors, you need to turn ON option 1 in programming location 13.

The Truth of Thermodynamics:
You can't win; you cant' break even; and you can't get out of the Game.

dknull

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 04:39:12 PM »
Oh, I forgot the number scroll (did I mention that I'm not fond of this keypad design..?).

Trouble 3 is phone line trouble.  Turn off option 7 in location 015 (telephone line monitor).

Since I don't see resistors, you need to turn ON option 1 in programming location 13.

Oops, missed TLM.

However, I don't understand why zone 1 and 6 don't need to be bypassed in order to arm.