+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

59 Guests, 1 User
bramfrank

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: To catch a thief  (Read 1901 times)

somebody

• View Profile
To catch a thief
« on: September 04, 2009, 12:16:17 PM »
Hi there -- I'm new to this forum, and just looking for some advice.

We have a car theif in the neighbourhood.  Basically, they look for unlocked cars, and then take anything of value from inside.  This has been going on for about a year now -- I don't know how often he comes, as I usually lock my car, but he has come several times now when I forgot.  Talking with the nieghbours I'm guessing it's every couple of weeks or so.  Last time he came he managed to damage one of the speakers in the car.

So, enough is enough -- I want to catch them (I'm not interested in just detering them).  So, I'd like some advise on this.

What I'm thinking is a survellence system, but I have little or no experience with these.  I don't want to spend a fortune, but I want to get a good enough image to recognize the guy.  Nightcams would be required.

What would be really cool would be to have a disposable (<$100) wireless camera in the glove box set to start recording when the glove box was opened -- I think that would pretty much guarentee me a view of the face.  Unfortunately, I can't find such a thing.

I was wondering if anyone had any creative ideas on what I could do.  I'd like to stay below the $500 mark, so what's my best bet for that kind of money?

Thanks

John

Security Monitor

• Security Guru
  • member: International Order of the llamas
    • View Profile
Re: To catch a thief
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 12:32:25 PM »
So, you would rather spend money to buy a camera system in hopes you catch the person instead of not being the victim.

Option 1:  Buy a cheap self contained camera system for $400.  Person breaks in steals something but does not open glove box.

Option 2: Buy a cheap self contained camera system for $400.  Person breaks in, opens glove box but face is obscured, and steal camera system.

Option 3: Lock the doors.

Tough choice  ::)

garya505

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 12:42:59 PM »
Get a loud car alarm.  Even if you got him on video, there is so much of this kind of petty theft that the the police aren't going to be too interested.

Or, you could leave the open and plant some old (closed account) credit cards, fake jewelry, and a cheap locked (but empty) briefcase inside the car .   ;)

MmmDee

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 01:43:52 PM »
Part of the problem with wireless inside the glove compartment is the metal surrounding the glove compartment and the car.  You'd probably be lucky to get any sort of transmission outside the car.  This may be one of the rare cases in which a cheapy X10 wireless camera and receiver hooked to a VCR in your house might be the way to go.  Plug the x10 into a cigarette lighter jack and just place it under a baseball cap on the dash.

KSSPA

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 03:06:42 PM »
.  Plug the x10 into a cigarette lighter jack and just place it under a baseball cap on the dash.

Unless your car wiring is tied into the house wiring I don't think it would work well. Or is this an electric car?  :D

MmmDee

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 03:44:30 PM »
.  Plug the x10 into a cigarette lighter jack and just place it under a baseball cap on the dash.

Unless your car wiring is tied into the house wiring I don't think it would work well. Or is this an electric car?  :D

Maybe I don't get the point of your comment.  ???   The battery powered, wireless camera goes in the car, the AC powered receiver goes in the house.

The X10 cameras I have (2) can run off their AC adapter, or 6VDC (4 x 1.5v batteries).  Most Radio Shacks (and other stores) carry cigarette lighter adapters like this one capable of supplying 6VDC if battery life is a concern.

I'm not saying it's the best, but it's at least a low-cost possibility.  Granted, some cars don't supply power to the lighter jacks (or accessory jacks as I supposed they're more properly called nowadays) when the key is off, but many do.

God forgive me, I can't believe I linked to an X10 website.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:04:45 PM by MmmDee »

garya505

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 04:12:30 PM »
I have a better idea.  Put in a hidden battery-powered video camera, leave the keys in the car and rig the car to run for about 3 minutes and then shut off, lock the doors, and call the police. 

The video should be fun to watch while having a couple of beers with some chips and salsa.

MmmDee

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 04:29:01 PM »
.  Plug the x10 into a cigarette lighter jack and just place it under a baseball cap on the dash.

Unless your car wiring is tied into the house wiring I don't think it would work well. Or is this an electric car?  :D

Oh duh, now I get the comment, you were making a joke  ;D   The X10 cameras were the original, or nearly original, ever-present pop-under ads that plagued internet browsing in the 90's.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:33:28 PM by MmmDee »

TotalyWired

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 07:46:26 PM »
I know Im a little late but I would copy 1000 dollars worth of fake 100 dollar bills and keep them in the glove box.  That out to make this guy really happy...  Oh yea the rest will take care of itself ....   Warning do not get caught with these your self !!!!!

DIMS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 12:36:30 PM »
Try a motion activated game spotting camera.  About $100 at big box retailers.

http://www.wildviewcam.com/

I suspected someone was creeping around my house checking for unlocked windows.  After finding screens a bit out of place a couple times I hung an one of these in a tree.  Three weeks later I had pictures of a person behind my house looking at a window.  The camera caught a good view of his face that the police said is plenty good for an identification. 

There was nothing criminal in the pictures (he did not get in).  However he is now suspect number one in some other thefts in the area.