+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

54 Guests, 1 User
bearwayne

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: First Post, Have a Question  (Read 1900 times)

robinsok

• View Profile
First Post, Have a Question
« on: August 27, 2009, 06:56:09 PM »
Hey guys, first post here.  I am in the low voltage business, but mainly do fire alarm and Audio Video.

Not really that familiar with security products.  I've been wanting to do a security system in my house for a while now, and now i've ordered all new windows.  I got your regular double hung replacement windows.  I figure when i'm installing those, it would be the best time to start on the security system and get the window sensors in.

What type would you guys recommend?  I have 9 windows that would be getting sensors, then i will have to do the doors, etc.

I would like to use something that requires as little damage/modification to the windows as possible.

Edited to Add..

I have been looking for a while at panels, and here is what i've found.  
http://www.smarthome.com/7500P/Professional-8-32-Zone-Security-System-with-X10-Intercom/p.aspx

What do you guys think of that panel?  I would like something with X10 Capability.  Or some form of lighting control.  I'm a little bit of a geek for Automation Stuff, and i want to have that option.  I'm not set on that panel.  If there is a better option with lighting control/x10 capabilities, please let me know.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:09:06 PM by robinsok »

wrldtlvr

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: First Post, Have a Question
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 07:41:30 PM »
I think the general consensus is that you are best off keeping home automation and security as separate systems. For an alarm system, I would use a system from a reputable manufacturer - GE, Honeywell, DSC, etc.

KSSPA

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 07:42:36 PM »
I would really urge you to consider keeping security and home automation separate. But I'm not a huge fan of x-10 either way. It seems most people who are geared more towards the home automation go with the Elk Panels. .

SactoBob

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 07:43:21 PM »
For whole house automation and lighting I recommend Elk, I have an M1Gold in my house. It's awesome and if you're the geek type you'll love it.  :P Many here recommend keeping the security separate from the automation part, but I'm not in that school of thought. The Elk is a good solution for those that prefer the all-in-one unit.

I have mine paired with an ISY-Pro from that same website you noted in your post. The ISY has it's own timer/program stuff, but you can also use the Elk either with an Ethernet module (which I use) or a serial interface to control your Insteon/X10 devices via the ISY.
With the Ethernet interface programing via ElkRP is very easy and you can access everything from a web browser anywhere.

It does get a little pricey once you start adding up all the additional modules to "geek" out your house.  :D

Edit: And yeah X-10 is old stuff, Insteon is X-10 compatible and more reliable. That smarthome website sells a lot of Insteon stuff.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 07:45:59 PM by SactoBob »

KSSPA

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 07:44:13 PM »
I think the general consensus is that you are best off keeping home automation and security as separate systems. For an alarm system, I would use a system from a reputable manufacturer - GE, Honeywell, DSC, etc.

Whoa. Simultaneous posting, cool

Btw, the panel in the link appeared to be DSC

KSSPA

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 07:45:26 PM »
Sacto, does the Elk use GE wireless sensors?

SactoBob

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 07:55:36 PM »
Sacto, does the Elk use GE wireless sensors?
All mine are hardwired as I was there for every phase of construction. In looking at the Elk specs it can use 2 different types of wireless modules (not both at the same time as you flash the firmware for the type you're using).  The two that are support are Elk's own wireless and the GE NX548E using  ELK-WO35A wiring harness. In the manual they also show a diagram for that harness using the NX408E, NX416E, and NX448E.

SactoBob

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 07:58:39 PM »

Hey Sherlock did you click on the panel/picture? :P

KSSPA

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 09:03:11 PM »

I don't get it  ??? Am I missing something here?

The manual below it was for a DSC 832 so I just assumed it was a DSC panel. I'm guessing that was wrong?

SactoBob

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 06:57:21 AM »

I don't get it  ??? Am I missing something here?

The manual below it was for a DSC 832 so I just assumed it was a DSC panel. I'm guessing that was wrong?
Silly, when you click that picture it comes up with a zoom-in closeup pic of an 832 keypad.  :P  It's kind of obvious at that point it is an 832. You were really guessing! lol

Aren't these panels aged now? If anything I'd go with an 1832 before an 832. But that certainly is not going to do much of anything "geeky" with home automation.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 07:02:58 AM by SactoBob »

wrldtlvr

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 10:59:16 AM »

Brilliant minds think alike! The thumbnail of the system board looked a little strange. Didn't realize it was a DSC.

KSSPA

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 11:59:15 AM »
I've only ever seen a handful of DSC panels in in my travels  :(  . I've come across many different GE, Ademco, Napco, Moose, and assorted others, not much DSC in my neck of the woods.

johnhood

• View Profile
    • Color Security Camera
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 10:44:19 PM »
I am really pleased to your discussion regarding security and appreciate your hard effort, thanks for sharing.