+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

58 Guests, 1 User
tvtech

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: NX8E and NX-148E-RF question  (Read 13197 times)

oldvetteguy

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
NX8E and NX-148E-RF question
« on: July 03, 2009, 05:12:07 AM »
I am getting ready to purchase an alarm system and I would like to know the difference between the NX-8 and the NX-8E.  Also how many wireless sensors will the NX-148E-RF keypad support, assuming no expansion?

Thanks,
Charles

fostiras

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
    • SMS controllable thermostat
Re: NX8E and NX-148E-RF question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 03:02:15 PM »
Hi Charles,
the NX-148 RF keypad can support up to 48 wireless transmitters (sensors, keyfobs etc).
Combined with an NX-8 panel you could have a total of 48 zones which could be all wireless, or 8 hardwired (from the panel ) and 40 wireless from the keypad or any combination in between.

The NX-8E supports all the above plus has a total of 192 zones, an embedded serial port for automation system integration and a power supply of 3 Amps compared to 1 amp of the NX-8. These are the major differences.

george
George Karavasilis

Industrial Automation
Thessaloniki - Greece

easyhomeplus.gr/default.asp?LangId=46

oldvetteguy

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 03:16:49 AM »
George:

Thanks for your reply.
Can the serial port on the NX-8e also be used to connect the DL900 software?

Charles

fostiras

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 09:46:24 AM »
Yes Charles,
the embedded NX-8E serial port connects to DL900 software and can upload/download settings. The difference to the installer NX-586 interface, is that the 586 has no rules except the correct download code (default 84800000). As soon as the right download code is entered in DL900 the connection is established. With the embedded NX-8E port (the same applies to the NX-584 automation module), you have to configure the port first through the 586 (with DL900) or the keypad. As soon as the port is configured properly 
you get connected at no time. The port is by default disabled !  Even if you edit the port's configuration with wrong settings, through a working embedded NX-8E port, you get locked out and you must restore the settings through the keypad to get connected again. These mistakes are usually done while you are experimenting with the panel at the very beginning. If the settings remain untouched you have no problem to connect to your panel anytime.

Hope I didn't confuse you.
George
George Karavasilis

Industrial Automation
Thessaloniki - Greece

oldvetteguy

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 02:51:18 AM »
Thanks again.  I think I understand what you are telling me.
Without the NX-586 I will have to configure the NX-8e serial port using the keypad.  Once it is enabled and configured correctly, the DL900 software should connect.  I'm sure I will have more questions when I get around to setting all of this up. 

I have ordered an NX-8E with a 148E-RF keypad.  Would your recommendation be to set the serial port first and try connecting with the DL900 software before attempting to  program any other features?  I have never programmed one of these systems but I have browsed through one of the NX-6 manuals and they are not exactly written for novices.  Any suggestions on the key stroke sequence to set the serial port parameters?

Charles 

fostiras

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 04:25:57 PM »
OK Charles here is what you need to do:

* 8   9713   enter the program mode with 9713 default installer (program) code
 0 #           enter into the panel configuration (panel is module with address 0)
 207 #         enter into location 207. This is the first location of the serial port's configuration. The last one is 211. 207 holds the function of the port.
  1              1 for automation function (or any computer/controller connection) and to enable the port.
  *             saving the change
 208 #         208 holds the baud rate of the port. Just check it and leave it at default 2 (2=9600).
   #             exit location 208
 209 #         209 holds the format (Binary or ASCII)
--------       check to see if all options are blank (for binary = faster)
 210 #         check and blank all options.By default it should be
-2----7-     options 2 and 7 are enabled in segment 1
   2             to disable option 2
------7-      
   7             to disable option 7
--------
    *           save and advance to segment 2 of location 210 which
12------     by default has options 1 and 2 enabled
    1           to disable option 1
    2           to disable option 2
    *           save and exit location 210. You don't want the transition functions since you have no controller connected to your system so this way you save traffic. DL900 only requests.

211  #       now location 211 is critical and enables the answers the system will provide to your requests done via DL900. The first segment will look like this:
-2-45678     you can leave the default values although DL900 only needs options 2,6 and 7.
    *             advance to the second segment which looks like this :
123-----       You can leave the default values although DL900 only needs option 1.
    *             advance to the third segment which is blank by default:
--------
    1             to enable option 1
1-------      
    2             to enable option 2 (these options enable programming !!!)
12------
    *             save and advance to the fourth segment which is blank also:
--------
-----67-       enable options 6 and 7 (used by DL900's virtual keypad).
                   save and exit location 211

EXIT           to exit module number 0 = the panel
EXIT           to exit program mode and return to normal.

Disconnect one AC terminal and one battery cable to shut off the system. Wait a minute and reconnect first the battery and then AC. Sometimes the serial port is not immediately updated so a cold restart is the safe way to go. Connect with 9600 baud. If everything works fine you can change location 208 to 4 (38400) but first leave the default 9600.

For your computer connection you will need a special cable. I can you provide you instructions of how to build the cable although I would suggest you buy one (NX P003). Some people found a cable like this in very old computers (the socket on the motherboard was exactly the same as the NX-8E has).

If you go through these keypad job you will get familiar with keypad programming as well, if for some reason your serial connection fails.

Summary of options

Location             Segment               Options
   207                     1                         1
   208                     1                         2
   209                     1                    --------
   210                     1                    --------
   210                     2                    --------
   211                     1                    -2---67-
   211                     2                    1-------
   211                     3                    12------
   211                     4                    -----67-

george
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 04:44:23 PM by fostiras »
George Karavasilis

Industrial Automation
Thessaloniki - Greece

oldvetteguy

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 02:09:03 AM »
Wow!  Thanks for that detailed explanation.
I would appreciate the information on building the cable.  I've done a lot of serial communications programming on PCs so I've built a few cables.  Hopefully that connector you mentioned is a 9 pin, I think I have several of those in my tool bag.  I even have a laptop with a real serial port.

Charles

fostiras

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 06:19:38 PM »
Sorry for my delay Charles but since many people ask me about the cable every now and then I decided to make a quick guide with pictures. These are ready and only some comments need to be added and upload them to my server. You will have them next week.
Did you get your new panel and keyboard?

george
George Karavasilis

Industrial Automation
Thessaloniki - Greece

oldvetteguy

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 05:08:20 PM »
Yes, I received my new NX-8E board yesterday.  It has some sort of 10 pin serial port, nothing like I have seen before, so I guess I will have to fabricate something or just order the correct cable.  Been reading through the installation manual.  Lots of questions to follow, I'm sure.

Charles

fostiras

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 07:47:56 AM »
George Karavasilis

Industrial Automation
Thessaloniki - Greece

fostiras

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 12:42:00 AM »
Hi Charles,
any news?

george
George Karavasilis

Industrial Automation
Thessaloniki - Greece

oldvetteguy

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 04:14:19 AM »
Hi Charles,
any news?

george

George:

I ordered a P003 cable from an internet security store and it was a real disappointment.  First of all the cable was only 12 in. long.  The 10 pin connector was not keyed so it is possible to put it on in either direction and the connector that supposedly connects to the computer serial port is a male DB9 connector.  So I am going to have to put a female DB9 connector on it and also lengthen the cable so it will be  usable with my computer.

Thanks to the information you posted I don't really have to worry about the 10 pin connector being keyed since I now know which pin is #1.

I noticed in one of your pictures (Pb190001.jpg) that the DB9 appears to be a male connector just like the one I ordered.  All the serial ports on my computers have male connectors.  Do your computers have female DB9 connectors?

I followed your excellent directions and I believe I have the communications set up correctly on the NX8 board.  I just need to modify my cable now to check it. 

I do have one other question for you.  When I first turned on my NX8 board, the only thing I had connected was the keyboard, battery, and AC supply.  After the board initialized it gave me the message "System Ready Type code to arm".  Then, after sitting for a few seconds, I got a "System not ready" message and the LED showed a fault on zones 1-8.  I assume this is because there is nothing connected to these zone terminals.  Can I just connect a terminating resistor to these terminals or do I need to disable these zones for now to test the serial communications?

Thanks again for all your help.
Charles 

fostiras

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 06:29:06 AM »
Hi Charles,
sorry about confusing you with the male connector. I use it for a special board of mine ,not the computer. Use a female to female adapter/gender changer (not null modem but straight through). Anyway you have all the layouts of the pins so you can check it out.

During boot, the panel delays about 10 to 15 seconds till all functions are up and running. Use 3,3k resistors (or jumpers if you enable the EOL defeat feature) and just let zone 1 and zone 2 a little loose (the resistor or jumper tat connects to zone 1or2 terminal ) to open close these zones while testing on your bench.

Don't forget the resistor on the Bell terminals. Program the time to the panel. this way errors won't show up on the display.

george
George Karavasilis

Industrial Automation
Thessaloniki - Greece

oldvetteguy

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 08:14:32 AM »
Hi Charles,
sorry about confusing you with the male connector. I use it for a special board of mine ,not the computer. Use a female to female adapter/gender changer (not null modem but straight through). Anyway you have all the layouts of the pins so you can check it out.

During boot, the panel delays about 10 to 15 seconds till all functions are up and running. Use 3,3k resistors (or jumpers if you enable the EOL defeat feature) and just let zone 1 and zone 2 a little loose (the resistor or jumper tat connects to zone 1or2 terminal ) to open close these zones while testing on your bench.

Don't forget the resistor on the Bell terminals. Program the time to the panel. this way errors won't show up on the display.

george

To tell the truth I really did not notice the male DB9 connector in your picture until after I received this P003 cable and it had the wrong connector.  I think I have a gender converter plug around here somewhere but I will be lengthening the cable anyway so I may as well just put the correct female DB9 connector on it.

Do I need a resistor on the BELL terminal if I have the bell connected?

Going to send the company I bought this cable from a nasty (well, at least non-complimentary) email now.

Charles

oldvetteguy

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 11:21:38 AM »
OK, I have the resistors on zones 1 thru 8, so no more errors.  I have the serial cable connected to the NX-8 and to the computer.  There are menu items for connecting thru modem, AMD, 586, and TCP/IP but I can't find anything about a direct serial connection except the com port selection and baud rate settings which I have set for com 1 and 9600 baud.

I have double checked your settings procedure and I have all the settings as per your suggestions.

So how do I connect using the com port?

Charles