Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

99 Guests, 3 Users
murphy62,
Guyfromhe,
bearwayne

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: Phone line hookup in new construction home  (Read 2526 times)

diyrph

• View Profile
Phone line hookup in new construction home
« on: May 08, 2009, 08:35:15 AM »
Hi all,

I searched the forums but didn't get any hits on what I'm hoping is an easy question:

I have a relatively new construction home in which I've set up an Ademco system with a Vista 20p....the electrician wired the phone lines in what I can only assume is the "star" pattern with all the Cat-5 lines terminating in a central panel....I have a Cat-5 line from this panel to the Vista 20p as well.

I'm ready to start having the system monitored and want to make the phone line connection....Can I simply wire the Tip/Ring for my phone line to terminals 22/24 and 21/23 rather than using the RJ31x Jack that comes with the panel?  All the info on the web appears to be geared more toward making sure you are grabbing the line at the point closest to the phone service box and utilizing the RJ31x jack for line seizure, but that seems to be for older home wiring that didn't utilize the star wiring/central panel technique, but I want to verify that this is true before going ahead with this assumption.  Using the Jack seems like an unecessary step in my circumstance.

Thanks much!

MmmDee

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Phone line hookup in new construction home
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 11:24:23 AM »
The general recommendation is to run 2 pairs of wire, ie 22/4, from the demarcation point (the box the phone company brings to your house and on which one side is the phone company lines and on the other side of the box is your house wiring).  One pair of wires runs (semantically) from the demarc box to the panel, the other pair of wires runs from the panel back to the demarc box.  The RJ jack simply provides a convenient place to tie wires to and a way to isolate the alarm panel if need be.

diyrph

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 11:43:41 AM »
Thanks much for the info, one other follow-up, though.....am I correct in assuming that tying into the central phone wiring point (the point of the star) within the home would be the same as running wires all the way back to the phone company box?  Since the "star" type of wiring puts everything in parallel, I would assume that it's fine to simply use this configuration, correct?

Thanks again!

Security Monitor

• Security Guru
  • member: International Order of the llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 11:53:29 AM »
If by "star" you mean just another connection pint where the main incoming phone line gets separated to the branch lines, yes that will essentially be the same thing.

The reason alarm techs like the demarc point versus some interior distribution point is that nothing prevents the installation of a branch line from originating after the demarc but before that distribution point.  After all, the demarc is the point where the telco lines to the street starts, so anything after that is premise.

The RJ is advised for 2 reasons.  One is you must be able to have a layperson disconnect a communication device from the telephone circuit by law.  Having to open up an alarm panel and figure out what wires are what while still maintaining communications downstream, does not meet the spirit of the law.  Second reason is it makes troubleshooting ever so much easier.

MmmDee

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 11:53:35 AM »
Deleted as SM beat me to it...  ;D

diyrph

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 12:02:10 PM »
Great, thanks for the tips, I will use the jack for the purpose you mention (hadn't thought of that issue), and will use the wiring as is (should save me a back-ache or two not having to fish a line all the way to the phone co's box)!

amesalarm

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
I'm just curious...what type of central location board/box/device did the electrician use? Where in the
house is it located?

Nah, I'm not looking for something to criticize, I'm just curious about whether electricians are starting to
use telco punch terminal boards.

Thanks.

diyrph

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 08:19:28 AM »
It's actually just a metal box with all the phone lines and coax lines "home run" in the "star" pattern to one location, for ease of networking, etc.....seems to give a lot of future flexibility with the CAT-5 and coax lines all terminating together in one spot, in case we would ever have future tech needs, etc....no boards, etc currently, but it's about the same size box as the vista box.  They placed it in the master closet as well, running all the security wires to the point where the vista panel is hung and all the CAT-5 and coax to the other box.....thanks!