Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

60 Guests, 2 Users
jonathanm,
gpburdell

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: No Power to DSC Power 832 system  (Read 3443 times)

fallingstar76

• View Profile
No Power to DSC Power 832 system
« on: February 28, 2009, 08:46:53 AM »
Hi - we recently moved into our new home and it was already wired with a DSC Power 832 system. We were trying to activate it but Alarm Relay wasn't receiving the signal. Well, we figured out the the phone line is missing from the alarm panel. But the problem we need to resolve first is that there's no power to the system - no lights on the control panel, nothing. We're both completely new to this - any suggestions? Thanks so much.

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
Re: No Power to DSC Power 832 system
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 10:12:44 AM »
you'll need to find the AC transformer for your system.  The "panel" you're referring to is just a remote keypad, somewhere in your house there will be a metal cabinet that houses the actual control circuitry, backup battery, and phone jack.  Look in closets, and the basement near the circuit breaker panel.

There will be a rather large transformer somewhere, that supplies power to the system.  Make sure it's plugged in.  If it is, verify that the outlet is indeed working.  Check the connections in the panel, the first two terminals on the terminal strip are for the AC power in.  It could also be possible that the transformer quit, but get the preliminary stuff checked out first.

Once you get the problem resolved, and the panel powered up, connect the battery.

It's probably time to replace the battery if you don't know how old it is, especially if they just unplugged the AC and allowed the battery to completely discharge.  Any local Batteries Plus or something will have that battery for a fairly reasonable price.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

fallingstar76

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 01:33:04 PM »
Okay, we found the metal cabinet in the closet. We see the first 2 wires in the terminal strip are there, but can't find the transformer. Would it be near the metal cabinet? There's a plug right beneath the cabinet but nothing plugged into it.

Do you think we should seek professional help with this?? If we do, what kind of person should we contact? I was thinking just an electrician but I don't know if they would have the specialized knowledge needed. Because I don't see a phone jack in the closet either, which is my next worry if we ever do get the power to the system on. I did a quick Google search and the only alarm system installers I came up with in our town are ADT which will not work for us since we don't have an ADT system.

I'd love to be able to fix it ourselves to save money but I just don't know if we have the ability.

fallingstar76

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 02:58:25 PM »
Here's an update - there is a white plug-like thing underneath the cabinet. It says Revere Class 2 Transformer, Class 2 Power Supply. Would this be the transformer?? It's Part # RT-1640. There are 2 silver screws on the back where I guess wires could theoretically be attached, but none currently are. And the wires for the AC power that are plugged into the terminal strip go into a hole in the wall and who knows where from there.

willbill808

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 10:37:44 PM »
If you have a multimeter, you should be able to tell if power is making its way to the panel. Measure the AC voltage on the first two panel terminals. It should be around 16.5VAC. If you don't get a reading, well right there's your problem. If however, you do get a good reading from the two terminals, the problem is more serious, and might require a replacement board.
Semi-serious DIY'er- installing a security and fire system. Also learning about related fields.

Natethegr8

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 04:16:19 PM »
That "plug like thing" is your transformer.  If you see the two wires that are bare, you can put them under those two screws on the transformer, it doesnt make which go where.  Then plug that transformer into the outlet and you should get your system running.  Theres more problems that come after that though.  If you are gonna have that system monitered, you might wanna find a local or national monitoring company and have them come out and do it for you.  Its worth the money to have your system working properly.

Even if you are just powering for a local system, chances are its going to throw a trouble condition because of the lack of a phone line or some other problem, and it will beep incessantly.

Nate

george6488

• Security Guru
  • It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 04:54:22 AM »
I would suggest you download the manuals for your system....if you don't already have them. They can be downloaded from this site if you request the user ID and password from one of the administrators....we are not allowed to give out that info.

If you get power to your system and it powers up.........what is your next goal. The odds are high that you will need to replace the battery. You will need the master code to set the date and time. You will need the installer code to make any changes to programming. Is this something that you want to tackle or would it be better to call in a professional for assistance?

We are here to assist put you are the one that has to do the work and push the buttons.

Post back if we can assist further.

fallingstar76

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 03:07:32 PM »
I do actually need a little bit more help. I got the system up and running and like you said there are more problems that arise.
Is there anyway to reset the master code, cause I do not know the code? If there is anyway to make that happen I will be able to figure the rest out. Thanks again.

george6488

• Security Guru
  • It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 05:26:22 AM »
You will need the installer code to program a new master code.

I believe that the master code is in section 007......I do not have a manual with me right now.

Hope this helps.