+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

73 Guests, 0 Users

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: DSC Power 832 Not Successfully Dialing  (Read 1219 times)

DocDoug

• View Profile
DSC Power 832 Not Successfully Dialing
« on: February 14, 2009, 06:00:45 PM »
I have a 1998 DSC Power 832 that I installed new. I recently switched to Verizon Fios (fiber optic) from traditional copper. I am not 100% sure... but I think the problem started after the conversion.     

My alarm is set in the pager dial mode. For years, my alarm successfully rang my cell phone when certain deactivation codes were input. (Daughter home, etc.)

Now, when I listen in from a handset, I get the "sorry the call can not be completed as dialed... or similar recording. If I lift another handset and listen to the ENTIRE DIALING ACTION, the alarm successfully calls my cell phone and it rings. If I don't lift a handset and listen, it won't connect. I unsuccessfully attempted to add 2 second pauses, using the "D" force dial tone, between digits and after the entire number... I am at a loss. I have had numerous people tell me that Fios should not make a difference. FIOS is not Voice Over Internet.

Please assist. Thank you in advance. Doug

Security Monitor

• Security Guru
  • member: International Order of the llamas
    • View Profile
Re: DSC Power 832 Not Successfully Dialing
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 09:26:20 PM »
When you say "handset" are you talking a regular telephone or a lineman's set turned to monitor?
If you're not using a lineman's set, the lifting of an extension could cause dialing problems unrelated to your problem.  The only real way to listen in is with the proper tool so you are not chasing a phantom symptom based on your actions, not the panel's.

DocDoug

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 07:18:30 PM »
Regular telephone was used to listen.  The funny part, when I did this it works. 

Today I powered down all Verizon FIOS equipment and removed the battery.  As well, I did the same for the DSC alarm.  I connected everything back and now it appears to work fine.  That is strange. 

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 02:00:46 PM »
If this system was mine I would have the phone going into the alarm panel first and then out to the house phones.  This would give line seizure to the alarm panel so that someone couldn't pick up an extension and cause the system to not be able to dial.