Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

74 Guests, 2 Users
texaswes,
dranck01

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: Lets start a beginners tool list sticky...  (Read 24683 times)

Vague

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lets start a beginners tool list sticky...
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 04:22:15 PM »
threads been quiet for a bit, but a few things i use daily...

klein electrician sheers for removing wire jacketing and cleaning up things, also useful for trimming finger nails.

klein dykes for cutting heavy wire or bending something like coathangers :)

forceps for clamping onto wires in door/window frames so they dont bounce 3' up when someone slams a house door.

$3 set of 4 hooks from walmart for fishing wires out.

multimeter that fits nicely in my tool pouch.

battery tester to check volts, amps, and temps of batteries.

toner and wand, buttset with 2way speakerphone, random panel keys, and as much literature and digital manuals as i can find
5+ years of Low-Volt work and the only thing I truely know... I HATE central vac!

- Ademco, DSC, Caddx, Concord, DMP, Radionics, Napco - Burg, CCTV, Fire, A/V, PoTS/VoIP, Cable

Static

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 04:27:09 PM »
As a service person responsible for so many different panels, literature was the biggest one for me. Give me the right book and I'll tackle anything. I had about a dozen binders in my truck. 
I have all the answers . . . some of them are correct.

Vague

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 04:29:15 PM »
As a service person responsible for so many different panels, literature was the biggest one for me. Give me the right book and I'll tackle anything. I had about a dozen binders in my truck. 

I have a big tote filled with papers, and about 9gigs on a jumpdrive in the van
5+ years of Low-Volt work and the only thing I truely know... I HATE central vac!

- Ademco, DSC, Caddx, Concord, DMP, Radionics, Napco - Burg, CCTV, Fire, A/V, PoTS/VoIP, Cable

CCTVSecurityPros

• CCTV Cameras
    • View Profile
    • Security Camera Systems
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 03:46:40 AM »
When you are going to set up CCTV Camera systems than you will be needed many tools to attach them to wall. There are many other equipment you can check out to use while setting up the camera.

pete baratta

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 01:29:58 AM »
    I wished I saved some of my old tools when I retired here to the UK. It seems that if you buy "wire strippers" here you have a choice of what passes for some weird shaped calipers with various size holes along the blade for different wire guages or some clumsy multi-jointed pair of pliers.
    Oh to have a flat pair of $5 "Millers" that looked like they were knocked up by San Quentin's finest...or a pair of Klein's.
    As for tiny cable fishing paper clips do it every time, Pete.

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2010, 02:48:16 AM »
What kind of battery tester do you guys use?  my company does not supply them, I have a Triplett Check A Cell which is only a basic load test with no real results, basically just a digital voltmeter with a 1 amp load.

I have a huge set of keys for mostly all panels, and mostly all elevators.  Many manuals, as we have a wide array of Ademco, DSC, Caddx, and even old Optex-Morse MDC-8s, MDC-16s, and Genesys 824s out there.  I'm kinda liking the old MDC-8s except the keypads are larger than a Radionics keypad...
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

Natethegr8

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 06:50:16 PM »
While I love neat install's, as a service guy it's a pain to cut off all those zipties, especially when they don't leave any paperwork or even bother to mark the wires.

Static

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2011, 08:57:08 AM »
Yeah, I just carry my laptop and, most recently, a tablet computer with all of my go-to documentation/PDFs.
No place I ever worked would supply stuff like that; heck, it was a challenge to get a ladder without at least one busted rung! I'm sure not going to bring my own laptop either, if something ever happened no company would cover it.
I have all the answers . . . some of them are correct.

joea

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2011, 06:26:05 AM »
Electrician scissors and hemostats to pull wire out of small holes.

Black Sharpe to mark just about everything, and a yellow highlighter to mark batteries and black RG cable.

solar security

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2012, 12:54:45 PM »
It may be pretty obvious, but always keep a hand-held metal detetor to check the walls for wires and pipes before drilling holes so you don't electrocute yourself or drill a hole through a water pipe.

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2012, 04:13:13 PM »
personal tools: 

a fox and hound toner set is a MUST.  excellent for not just tracing wires but also basic continuity testing, as well as verifying a pair of wires is good, and remote troubleshooting of circuits (no tone = shorted pair, good for locating shorts and ground faults).  the Fox 2 changes the cadence when the pair is shorted, so you know you actually found the right pair.  normally its not a problem, but our older work uses 22/10 wire sometimes and you need to identify a pair of 2 wires out of 10.  You can also use a toner as a talk battery to power two butt sets on a pair to talk back and forth to another tech.

A butt set.  I have a nice Harris TS44 with speakerphone - excellent, just clip it to the telco side, turn on the speaker, and you can hear it transmit - particularly useful when central insists they didn't get a restoral signal   ;)   Also like the Lil Buttie, it's not as big and bulky, shows the polarity and voltage, and fits right in your pocket.

A battery load tester.  critical.  I test batteries on every service call and I probably sell a case of 7ah batteries a week.  preventative maintenance.  saves you a last minute service call, and lets the customer know you're looking out for them.

Fluke DVOM, Triplett 310 analog meter.  works great for SLC loops where you need to see a quick change or a pulsating voltage.  T-18 and T-25 staplers, punchdown tool, electricians snips are great for just about everything.  fish tapes, glow rods, ball chain for fishing wires. the rest are basic electricians hand tools.

an assortment of gel-filled B-connectors (prefer them over the dry ones) and UR/UY Scotchlok connectors like the phone guys use (they have their uses occasionally), as well as the scotchlok pliers to press them closed.

manuals, manuals, manuals.  company issued laptop with downloading cables, as well as a Compass modem for local telco connections to small Vista panels, Caddx, Moose/Sentrol.  "custom" phone cords for connecting the modem to the panel and tricking it into thinking it's a telco connection.  Always great to be able to upload an event log - event logs can be your best troubleshooting tool.

Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

viper501

• View Profile
    • CCTV | Access Control | Intruder Alarms
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2012, 03:23:12 AM »
Dboyle, that is some collection of keys you have, think I need to start building up a collection to rival that!  :)

sheilaaellis44

• View Profile
    • Forbrugslån
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2012, 02:41:14 AM »
I enjoy nice install's, different line guages or a few awkward multi-jointed combine of pliers but always preserve any hand-held stainless steel detetor to examine the walls pertaining to wire connections plus pipe joints. Black Sharpe for you to tag just about everything,

mrgoe

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2012, 05:59:57 AM »
but a specialty hook for pulling wires out? Coathangers are cheaper, and I find they are more effective.
I use a length of fishtape with a hook bent into one end. It can be bent to curve around studs and such but is still very rigid unlike a coat hanger.

Definitely a big part of the business is improvising your own tools.

OMG such a nice idea, thanks, I can`t wait to test it :) so fishtape with a hook bent into one end. I`ll go try it now :D

jhowse

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2012, 09:24:59 AM »
TOOLS TOOLS TOOLS, unless we start a fishing topics ill stay right here  :D

I have had the same Klein 8" Diagonal-Cutting Pliers for close to 12 years now and just recently have i started considering getting a new set. Over the past 15 years i have went through close to 8-10 Cordless drills and the last one i bought was the Makita  BHP454S and its on its 3rd year, sure its all beat up and rubber is falling off but its a great drill.

And lastly was a homemade cctv remote viewer i made from scratch, it is installed in a old fishing case and uses a 5" lcd color screen but the nifty thing was i am running it off a 4ah security battery with power supply so that recharges and with the battery i was able to make a attachment to run any 12vdc camera right off the viewer its self so i am able to set up the camera during the installation.