+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

85 Guests, 1 User
Jonathan

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: Old Ademco panel  (Read 1362 times)

jvb

• Security Pro
  • I'm Learnin
    • View Profile
Old Ademco panel
« on: October 15, 2008, 10:46:07 AM »
I have a 20 year old Ademco panel in my business. I looks look everything is wired to a terminal strip and then plugged in to the back of the keypad, via a large made up cable and plug.  Did these old systems use a keypad/panel combination??? Thanks John VB
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 06:18:45 PM by admin »
John

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
Re: Old panel
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 03:39:21 PM »
What's the model of the panel?

You may see model numbers like 4110XM, 1024, or something like that.

Some systems have the capability to have the keypad mounted to the front of the control panel door.  Though it's not the best practice, it's usually practical if the system is used only for fire alarm, environmental monitoring, etc.   Older keypads connect to the system via a 4- or 5-wire harness, right to the terminal strip on the bottom of the circuit board inside the panel.
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

jvb

• Security Pro
  • I'm Learnin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 07:18:02 PM »
It says 4130 on the back of the keypad. I'm going to replace the system. It's been very reliable until just recently, it has dialer problems. We were trying to get an idea of how it was wired, so we could plan out a new system. It's got 2 panel boxes in 2 locations about 6 feet apart on different sides of the same wall. One has the battery and I don't know what else because the screws are so rusted I haven't been able to get them out. The other box is smaller and mounted to the wall behind the keypad. (The keypad is mounted to it) When I open it, there is a terminal block, and the cable plugged into the back of the keypad. I am assuming that all the switches, motions etc. are wired to the terminal strip behind the keypad??? Thanks John VB
John

Static

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 04:32:30 PM »
The keypad is the whole system, hence the large number of wires on the back. All the power, telephone and zone loops are on that one harness. The 4130 is one of the original all-in-one systems. . . . and AIOs are not considered serious security. It's also about 20 years old, which is an eternity by alarm system standards.

A new AIO system will not be very suitable to you as they are meant to use wireless devices and only have one or two hardwire inputs; the 4130 has 9 hardwired zones. If you want to replace the system, get something like a V20P; it has tons of features and expandability and because it's Ademco, you already know how to operate it.

I would recommend mounting the control panel in a secure location and putting the keypad where the 4130 was (if you like the location). To get the door contacts/motions from the 4130 location to the 20P you have a couple options. The simplest - at least in concept - is to extend each of those wires to your 20P. Another option (one I've used a couple times) is to put a zone expander in the wall and run a keypad wire to the main panel. The 4130 usually requires a large hole to be cut in the wall, much larger than any modern keypad would cover. Since I'm not about to patch and paint drywall, I got a nice piece of wood (plaque from a trophy shop) to cover the hole and then mount the keypad to that. It is also easily removable if required to access/service the zone expander inside.
I have all the answers . . . some of them are correct.

jvb

• Security Pro
  • I'm Learnin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 05:35:08 PM »
The system is almost 22 years old. There was one installed in my house and one in my business. The one in the business has worked perfectly for 22 years. Had to change a few batteries is all. It only uses 4 hardwired zones. Like I mentioned earlier there are 2 panel boxes, and after reading your info, I believe I can pull all the wiring up the wall and mount the new panel box on the backside of the wall, replacing the box with the battery, and put the keypad on the wall in the place of the other box. (My house might be a little harder, It has more zones and no good place for a panel. All the wiring runs thru a false wall chaseway directly to the keypad) Thanks for the info and help.  John VB
John