+-

Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

93 Guests, 2 Users (1 Hidden)
Bill L1

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: I need to COMPLETLY disable my DSC alarm.  (Read 15708 times)

MrLinux

• View Profile
I need to COMPLETLY disable my DSC alarm.
« on: January 23, 2008, 01:10:30 PM »
Hope this isn't a newbie question... I did a search but there were a lot of hits for disable and none of them seemed to apply.

I am moving into a new ( to me ) house that has been vacant for over a year ( bank foreclosure ) and it has a DSC
alarm.  At some point in the near future I'd like to get this up and working but for NOW... I'd like to disable
it 100% completely so that it doesn't go off and try to auto dial someone.

I turned on the main A/C breaker to the house and things started beeping.... I think that
they were the Smoke Detectors telling me that they needed new batteries... but I'm
not sure.. I expected some alarm siren and police to show up any second.... 

The DSC alarm panels had a green light for 'on' and a yellow light on the 'fault' ( something like that )
light.

I assume that there is an alarm siren someplace... but I'm not sure where that might be...

Is there a 'proper' way to disable this while I figure out what needs to be done to the
property... or do I just start ripping things off of the wall and snipping wires?

Thanks - jack

Security Monitor

• Security Guru
  • member: International Order of the llamas
    • View Profile
Re: I need to COMPLETLY disable my DSC alarm.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 01:23:58 PM »
The alarm is controlled via keypads (those things on the wall) but the brains and power of the alarm is a main board, most likely inside a metal enclosure, located in some hard to find place.  Click on the link titled Hardwired Alarm Kits" and you'll see examples of the metal "can".  When you find the can, inside are the power terminals (supply from a transformer) and a backup battery.  You can remove the two power wires (tape them off) and the leads from the backup battery.  That will essentially power down the panel completely.

Once that's done, you can take the time to hunt for the transformer and unplug that.
Investigate the phone hookup (if applicable) and unplug that.
And if anything else is beeping while the system is powered down, you know it's not part of the alarm and can figure out what needs to be done to fix those items.

george6488

• Security Guru
  • It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 01:25:30 PM »
Take one lead off the battery inside the panel. Unplug the power from the transformer. Unplug any telephone line going to the alarm panel.

The alarm is dead if you do these 3 things

Ginz73

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 01:55:04 PM »
It is safer to unplug BOTH leads from the battery and unplug the transformer from the wall outlet.  The phone line isn't mandatory unless you are having phone problems.  The phone relay is powered by the phoneline voltage and not the panel.
  You might also look around to be sure the smoke detectors in your home are powered by the 110V house power and not by the DSC system!! :o
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 01:56:37 PM by Ginz73 »