Members Online

59 Guests, 4 Users
my2cents,
Flyct,
locknalarm,
zplugger

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: DSC 1832 rec'd and need assistance  (Read 5073 times)

99TJ

• Security Master
    • View Profile
DSC 1832 rec'd and need assistance
« on: October 25, 2007, 11:27:49 AM »
I have rec'd my DSC 1832 and feeling abit overwhelmed already.  I have it laid out on a table and going to set everything up and program it prior to the real install.  Some questions are:

-Zones can be wired normally open, normally closed contacts with single end of line resistors or double end of line resistors.  What is the better option and why?
-Minimum 1/4 inch seperation must be maintained at all points between power limited and non-power limited wirings and connections.  Does this mean that when I strip the wire that I am required to leave 1/4 exposed out of the harness(where you connect the wire to the panel)?

These are the installation instructions that I am following:
http://www.baranharper.com/pdfs/powerseriesinstallmanual.pdf

Thanks in advance to the many questions I will have.

Static

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re: DSC 1832 rec'd and need assistance
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 07:21:46 PM »
-Zones can be wired normally open, normally closed contacts with single end of line resistors or double end of line resistors.  What is the better option and why?
An alarm system, specifically the detection circuit is nothing more than a loop of wire. No matter what type of "detector" is used (motion, glass, smoke, door switch) the end result is that the two wires from the panel are either made to touch or the circuit opens. "Normal" in the alarm industry refers to the secure condition. This means motions/glassbreaks are powered with no motion/noise present or the door/window is closed. With the DSC panel, if you go with normally open you must use resistors (the panel must see some continuity).

I'm not familiar with your panel, but sometimes single vs double EOLR refers to folks doing single vs double zoning.
I believe you're speaking of zone doubling. DSC does not support this. Double EOL is just Single EOL taken to the next level.

I'd suggest keeping things simple and if use EOLRs, do only the single version.
I agree. Single EOL is plenty. But honestly, unless you have priceless art and safes full of money and jewels and are fearful of ninjas-in-the-night repelling in through your skylights, normally closed will be just fine. Of course if you really do have the art and such, money would be no object and you'd have a pro install it, right?

-Minimum 1/4 inch seperation must be maintained at all points between power limited and non-power limited wirings and connections.
Don't run your alarm wires parallel to 120VAC wiring.

Does this mean that when I strip the wire that I am required to leave 1/4 exposed out of the harness(where you connect the wire to the panel)?
You should strip only enough wire to go in the terminal
I have all the answers . . . some of them are correct.

99TJ

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 05:49:15 AM »

If I did would there be interference?  by the 120vac do you mean the wiring for the rechargable battery?

GraysonPeddie

• Security Guru
  • Visual/Hearing Impaired
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 07:49:10 AM »
120vac means it provides 120 volts of electricity through alternating current.

Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Static

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 05:08:29 PM »
120vac means it provides 120 volts of electricity through alternating current. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct, Grasshopper. 120VAC is the stuff that lights your lights and comes out of the plugs in the walls.

by the 120vac do you mean the wiring for the rechargable battery?
No. EVERYTHING inside the panel is 18V or less. If you have 120V in your panel, watch for smoke!

If I did would there be interference?
There can be, but chances are slim. Keep your distance from 120VAC (2-3" minimum) if running parallel. If the wires must be near each other, keep the length of the run that they are close to a minimum. Running perpendicular is not a problem.
I have all the answers . . . some of them are correct.

GraysonPeddie

• Security Guru
  • Visual/Hearing Impaired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 05:15:55 PM »
Yes I know about the lights and stuff... I'm just trying to make completly sure... I didn't know why TJ99 mentioned mentioned "battery" in a sentence when it comes to 120v alternating current... Whoa...that's a lot of voltage...  ::)

And thank you for teasing me by calling me "grasshopper." LOL!

henrybowman

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 08:41:13 PM »
Normally open or closed is usually a function of the job the sensor does.  Intrusion sensors are usually normally closed, and open when the door or window opens.  Smoke and heat sensors are usually normally open, and close during a fire situation. 

If you configure a zone as "24 hour fire" or similar, the DSC panel infers that it is a normally-open circuit -- otherwise, if you configure it as "instant" or "delay" or similar, it infers that it is a normally-closed circuit.  All normally closed circuits have to be either single or double EOL, depending on what you tell the panel.  You can't individually configure some zones single and others double on the DSC panel.

If you install single EOL resistors, the panel can tell if the door is open, closed, or whether somebody or something has shorted out the alarm leads (which will make the door look closed all the time).  It knows the difference between a closed door and shorted wires because the resistance disappears when you short the wires.  (That's why it's sloppy to install EOL resistors inside the panel -- they don't do their job unless they are at the end of the line). 

If you install double EOL resistors, the panel can tell all of the above, PLUS it can tell if the alarm circuit has become disconnected or severed (by rats, home improvement, or whatever).  Best, it can tell you immediately when this happens, whether it is alarmed or not (so you'll know to stop hanging your picture on that spot on the wall, and where to cut the drywall to fix the problem).

The way I look at it, I want to have the most information possible about faults, rather than having to do exploratory digs into walls and doorframes.  It's a little extra effort to do double EOL, but it may save you a lot of repair effort later.

99TJ

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 07:38:31 AM »
Although it seems like I have no idea what I am doing I just need alittle direction to get me started.  I have a 22awg wire that has red, black, green, yellow wire in the white housing do I have to strip the colored part off so the copper wires are exposed?  If this is the case and the copper wires are exposed do I just insert all 4 copper leads under the screw terminal of the dsc main panel?

I have 2 keypads, 2 motion sensors, 3 recessed door magnets, 3 surface mount contacts but dont seem to have any instructions as to where to hook the wires up on each of these items.  Picture diagrams would be great or detailed description.  I am ready to call a pro in if need be but really want to give this a try myself.  Thanks.

dad22

• Security Expert
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 09:38:42 AM »
'do I just insert all 4 copper leads under the screw
terminal of the dsc main panel?'
Well, no - if you are asking if you put all 4 wires into the same terminal !!
The 4 wires are for 4 separate current routes/paths ( if all 4 went into
the same terminal - why have 4 wires ? - one would do )
Sounds like a bit of basic DC theory is needed -
for most sensors ( door/window contacts ) one wire goes from one of the panel
zone terminals, to one terminal on the contact - the other wire from the other
contact terminal back to the panel 'common' terminal for that zone allowing
the panel to 'see' voltage from the panel to the contact and back to the panel
when the contact is in a closed position.
In this case, only 2 of the 4 wires is needed.

Not trying to talk down or anything of the sort, but the '4 copper leads under the screw terminal' concerns me.

2nd - the 120 volts you are refering to is what the transformer requires - it then
steps the voltage down to about 14 ( still AC current ) to power the panel which
then keeps the battery charged with internal circutry.

99TJ

• Security Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 10:31:08 AM »
All contacts will be in the closed position.  I have already contacted a few installers just waiting for call backs but I would like to understand this more.  Since they will be closed contacts(motions, window and door sensors) only 2 of the 4 wires are needed.

one wire goes from one of the panel zone terminals, to one terminal on the contact - the other wire from the other contact terminal back to the panel 'common' terminal for that zone allowing the panel to 'see' voltage from the panel to the contact and back to the panel
when the contact is in a closed position

Which color will go from the panel zone terminal to the contact terminal and then from the contact terminal back to the panel common terminal?  Where would I find the common terminal on the 1832?

dad22

• Security Expert
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 08:32:29 PM »
'Which color will go from the panel zone terminal to the contact terminal and then from the contact terminal back to the panel common terminal?  Where would I find the common terminal on the 1832?'

The colors don't matter as long as they are consistent.
They are there so that you know 'which one is which' at
each end. Imagine making 4 connections and all of the wires
were purple - at the 'other end' which purple wire is connected
to what ?? - it would be a nightmare

Now a for instance -

Run the red from one of the 'Z' terminals ( which ever zone you
want to connect ) to a terminal on the contact. Connect
the black to the other contact terminal. Connect the other
end of the black to the 'common' terminal on the panel. The common
terminals  are located between the 'Z' terminals - 2 'Z' terminal
for each 'common' terminal.

This is going to come out wrong no matter how I say it because
you can't see body language or hear voice inflection but .....

You really need someone to 'look over your shoulder' on this one.

This is NOT like setting up a VCR or a new TV.

You have to have understand what you're doing and more
importantly why. Otherwise you run a real good chance
of frying your panel and/or other components.
Wiring the contact is the EASY part, trust me.

I looked at the manual you said you were using and you
need more ( not sure whre you got the manual but there
should have been at least 2 if not 3 with your equipment )
- there is an entire section on programming
with worksheets, settings, descriptions etc. that you are
going to have to have.

Again, as kindly as I can say this - get someone knowledgable
to help you ( this medium is not sufficient ) because if you
haven't played with batteries and bells and buzzers and
flashing lights and things that make you go 'ouch' - installing
one of these systems is not the place to start your
electrical/mechanical/tinkering/'gee why does it do that ?

training and experience.

My hobbies over the years have ranged ( almost !! ) from
ditch digging to brain surgery, several Heathkits including
2 televisions, multiple decades working with computers.
Understanding and installing my system nearly drove me
insane at times.

Good Luck and I mean that