98 Guests, 5 Users
canondude,
Static,
bearwayne,
geoarm ripoff,
Billingtjake

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: ADT's installer codes  (Read 35157 times)

Magnum Alert

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
  • NICET Certified - Fire Alarm Systems - #121764
    • View Profile
ADT's installer codes
« on: September 21, 2007, 02:00:34 PM »
here's quite an interesting find I came across last week.

back in january, I had purchased an ADT-branded Ademco Vista from another forum member, and installed it in my neighbor's place to replace his defective Radio Shack "alarm system".  From having programmed the system, I remember what the installer code that ADT programmed was.  it must be hardcoded, because when I defaulted the panel, it kept this code the same.

last week, I was testing fire alarm systems in a school district about an hour or so from me.  the fire alarm panels are wired to the ADT Ademco security systems so that fire alarms can be reported.  well, we ran a live test at both schools with the city disconnect disabled.  sure enough, this sent the ADT panel into fire alarm.

nobody in the building seemed to have the code to reset the security system, so on a whim, I tried silencing and resetting the ADT systems with the installer code I remembered from my neighbor's system.

sure enough, in both schools, it worked.

for obvious reasons, I'm not going to give the code out, but it seems kind of odd for ADT to use the same installer code on multiple or all systems they put in.

this post is mainly directed at any ADT techs out there, but I welcome any thoughts and discussions from anybody.  figuring out installer codes on Ademco systems isn't exactly rocket science, or a trade secret.  why would it be the same code? 
Specializing in Ademco, DSC, DMP, Moose, Napco, and GE Concord and NetworX.
NICET certified - #121764
VESDA certified designer/installer.

serviceman

• View Profile
Re: ADT's installer codes
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 05:18:50 PM »
Yes, it is a service code that cannot dis-arm a customers control once armed by the customer code. It will however work on fire alarms (as long as the system is not armed). Our customers security is not compromised by that code, but good find!

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 05:53:14 PM »
well, if that's the installer code (which it was), I can go ahead and set myself up with a user code to arm and disarm the system as I please.

I could also get into programming and disable zones as I please, disable reporting, etc.

of course, I haven't tried this, I know better than to do that.  this isn't something I'd even share with my co-workers, so I could be wrong. 

rahnie

• Security Guru
  • i know nothing and i can prove it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 06:24:19 PM »
it's not uncommon for outfits (especially smaller ones) to use the same installer code right across the board....not good practice especially with ademco panels where the installer code gives access to user functions as well.....not good practice for any make of panel actually but there you have it.....not ADT's fault other than not instructing their dealers to not do that and to use at least the account number or some algorithm of it......cheers
The trick of thinking outside of the box is knowing when to get back in
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 07:33:42 PM »
well this particular code must be hard-coded into ADT's systems, because when I did a *97 in the system I put in my neighbor's house, that code stayed the same and everything else returned to default.  I can't see it being a coincidence that two other systems have the same IC as well.  next time I have to work with an ADT system, we'll see if that code resets it.

watch, with my luck, the next system will have that as the duress code.  ;D  that would be typical for me.

rahnie

• Security Guru
  • i know nothing and i can prove it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 07:39:10 PM »
interesting....any specifics on which model of vista or safewatch or whatever it may have been labelled?.....cheers
The trick of thinking outside of the box is knowing when to get back in
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 02:52:21 AM »
well, the one I purchased was a 20SE.

in the schools, I couldn't find out, since I couldn't find the security panel ANYWHERE.  most places have them where the fire panel is, but these were different.  perhaps a closet somewhere in the office.  really shouldn't have looked anyways, because you never know if the panel has a tamper switch on the door.

ECC Designs

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 05:32:36 AM »
From reading the programming guide, I believe this installer code
entry issue can be defeated by setting Data Entry fields :
*88 = [Zero]
*98 = [Zero]
This would prevent re-entry using the installer code under normal
circumstances (panel under power) but still allow the installer to
enter using the “Power – Up” entry option.

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 11:43:22 AM »
that is correct, but that wouldn't stop me from setting myself up with a user code.

McCloud

• Security Guru
  • I feel better now
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 07:03:24 PM »
Hi Dan,
I never ran into an ADT panel that didn't use that same installer code. Not just the Ademco panels either. All the DSC, GE, even the old Moose panels have that same code. Makes it real easy to take over their accounts after the customer wises up. Just think how many unsuspecting customers are out there thinking they are secure. Kinda scary.

Magnum Alert

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 02:43:47 AM »
yeah, ADT doesn't sell actual security unless you pay them with an arm, a leg, and your first born child.  they'll sell you a $99 "basic" system that is easily defeatable by a good criminal.  they'll sell you a false sense of security and peace of mind at $30/month to monitor it (or $10/month if you work for Tyco fire/security..... but I shouldn't tell everyone that.)

I don't know how safe the average person would feel if they knew how that code is common on all of their systems, and what someone could potentially do with it.

wanderer288

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 11:30:37 AM »
I just purchased a home with an ADT alarm system in it. It is a repo home so we do not have any way to get in touch with the previous owners. I have tried to contact the local company, however they will not help me without signing a contract with them which we do not want to do. Can anyone help me with getting the system reset so I can set my own security codes?

Thnx
Darrell
*newbie**

Security Monitor

• Security Guru
  • member: International Order of the llamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 07:01:41 PM »
We can try.

First we need to know which alarm you have; ADT is an alarm company that uses several different manufactures.  You can start by looking at the different systems available on this site and let us know if one matches or appears similar.  From there we can tell you what and where to look for the manufacture’s ID plate.

Panther_wv

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 10:58:46 AM »
i have the same issue. my boss aka my landlord. was renting this condo out to some one and did not even know they had adt installed.
we did not care till yesterday when the condo was broke into. my dogs thank god stoped them from getting past the front door. how ever both myself and the boss called adt and they wold not give up any info.
i cant aford the monthly fee for these guys but would love to give my wife some kind of peice. the unit is a safewatch pro 3000  we dont have the master and i cant seem to find the installer codes.
Help LOL!

murphy62

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 01:18:10 PM »
i have the same issue. my boss aka my landlord. was renting this condo out to some one and did not even know they had adt installed.
we did not care till yesterday when the condo was broke into. my dogs thank god stoped them from getting past the front door. how ever both myself and the boss called adt and they wold not give up any info.
i cant aford the monthly fee for these guys but would love to give my wife some kind of peice. the unit is a safewatch pro 3000  we dont have the master and i cant seem to find the installer codes.
Help LOL!
You should have started your own thread instead of posting on the end of one that has been dead for 2 1/2 years.
Find the main panel box.  It's beige in color and about 2 ft square.  The key may be on top of the box.  It's either in the basement or in a bedroom closet.  Many ADT installers leave the installation manual inside of the cabinet.  The installer code is in the manual.  Do NOT under any circumstances mention the ADT installer code in this forum.