Members Online

71 Guests, 4 Users
AlarmMike,
Flyct,
DaveMedlin,
bearwayne

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: NEED TO GET OUT OF ADT CONTRACT NOW! HOW DO I DO IT?  (Read 38529 times)

sue

• View Profile
NEED TO GET OUT OF ADT CONTRACT NOW! HOW DO I DO IT?
« on: July 11, 2007, 06:37:16 AM »
I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE SYSTEM INSTALLED BY ADT. I HAVE THERE GARBAGE SYSTEMS IN MY HOME AND BUSINESS. I CALLED ANOTHER COMPANY TO INSTALL A NEW SYSTEM IN MY HOME AND BUSINESS, I CALLED ADT TO CANCELL MY ACCOUNT AND WAS INFORMED THAT I STIL HAVE 1 YEAR LEFT ON MY CONTRACT WITH THEM. CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW I CAN GET OUT OF THE CONTRACT BEFORE THE END OF MY CONTRACT? I THOUGHT ADT WOULD BE THE WAY TO GO BUT TURNS OUT THEY ARE JUST MONEY HUNGRY AND CHARGE OUT THE BUTT FOR SERVICE AND NEVER HAVE SHOWED UP ON TIME AND SEND TECHNICIANS THAT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE DOINGI HAD A DEAD BATTERY AND THEY SEND TWO ''TECHNICIANS'' TO MY HOME TO FIGURE THIS OUT. COME ON A DEAD BATTERY. MY 12 YEAR OLD COULD HAVE FIGURED THAT ONE OUT.AS YOU CAN TELL IM REAL HAPPY WITH THE LARGEST SECURITY COMPANY IN THE WORLD. I JUST NEED TO GET OUT OF THE CONTRACT A S A P. I WONT EVEN GET INTO THE TIME I CAUGHT A SERVICE GUY GOING THROUGH THE PILE OF DIRTY CLOTHES IN MY BASEMENT

Security Monitor

• Security Guru
  • member: International Order of the llamas
    • View Profile
Re: NEED TO GET OUT OF ADT CONTRACT NOW! HOW DO I DO IT?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 08:20:48 AM »
ADT's contract is like any other contract; it's a legally binding agreement you signed for the terms and conditions specified.  The only legal way to get out of the contract is to pay off the remaining period of the contract or you can call them to see how much you two can compromise on terminating the contract.  If you believe that you have a legitimate reason to terminate the contract for their failure to abide by its terms and conditions, contact an attorney who specializes in contract law and see what they say.

FYI, ADT's contracts have been upheld time and time again in court cases so don't just break the contract thinking ADT won’t do anything about it.

george6488

• Security Guru
  • It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 07:49:27 AM »
First........turn off the all CAPS.

To get out of the legal and binding contract you signed with ADT.......fulfill your end of the agreement and pay them until contract expiration. Be very careful and read your contract carefully as you may (probably) have an automatic renewal clause if you do not give them a certain WRITTEN notice which should be sent via certified mail with a return receipt. Calling them on the phone is usually not a proper notice....but please read all the terms of the contract that you signed.

ADT enforces their contracts seriously and I would guess they would send your account to collection and/or sue you for breach of contract if you just STOP paying.

Unfortunately, you signed a legal and binding agreement and you must read the contract and fulfill your obligations or YOU will be the one in the wrong.

Sorry for the bad news!

bob hocevar

• Security Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 12:40:01 PM »
my god you caught a servich tech going through your dirty clothes? ok, well that would have been reason enough to bail out on adt that second! did you report this to adt? you should have right away. if that wont help you could always buy out your contract but is it really worth it? adt is very good at selling high priced monitoring contracts and garbage security systems! as a security company owner i love adt because after the contract is over i get a call to up grade there system and get the monitoring contract. adt feels that there business is all about the money. they do not give a ---- about the crappy installations there company does. google bad adt installs and you will see what im talking about. after this i'll be known as the adt nazi.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 08:49:28 PM by dboyle »

Alarms24

• Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 08:47:27 PM »
Well first of all you should read a contract before you sign it. Probably if you would have read it you would have known how to get out of it. As for the dead battery if your 12 year old could have figured it out then why didn't you let your 12 year old do it indtead of calling them out. Basically what I am saying is that you should pay more attention to what you sign. If you sign a legal contract with a company you won't be able to get out of it until the contract date is over. Maybe next time do some research and find out more about it if your going to pay them for their services. There is nothing that anyone here can do about, you have got to climb out of the hole you dug your self into