Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

122 Guests, 2 Users
dranck01,
axofsguaf

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: ADT Monitored alarm system, two dial tones from one wire?  (Read 4368 times)

whizzbang

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
ADT Monitored alarm system, two dial tones from one wire?
« on: July 25, 2004, 06:27:41 AM »
Hi there

We have an ADT monitored alarms system installed in 2001 and  I am trying to put a DSL filter on to the line. The phone line for the alarm box seems to be wired strangly.

6 wires coming into the back from the telephone junction (Red, gree, blue, white, black and yellow). But only the Red, Green, Black and White wires are actively hooked into the junction.

Now for the strangeness, usually I think, the red and the green lines are the two wires you need to get a dial tone on a phone. But in this system you only get a dial tone on the wires form the junction using the red and the black wires. To make it even weirder, if you directly connect the 4 active wires red to red, black to black, green to green and white to white (and tie off the yellow and blue ones) you get a dial tone on the red and black pair as before, but also on the green and white pair! so you get 4 wires and two dial tones? is this usual?

I believe that our system is hooked up so that it will override any regular phone call you are on in order to dial through to the control center. If this is the case does this mean that all 4 wires are needed in this phone line? which would kind of make my 2 wire DSL filter from Excelcius kinda useless...

Is anyone familiar with this kind of monitored alarm set up?

Cheers!

Dawg fan

• Pro-Tech Advisor/Moderator
  • Security Guru
    • View Profile
Re:ADT Monitored alarm system, two dial tones from one wire?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 09:10:14 AM »
Hey Whizzbang,
     I wish I could see what you are saying. I'm not sure if I have it or not. Four wires are required for line siezure. There are the two lines that come from the phone co. and go to the panel then the two lines that go from the panel to the phone jacks. You may still be able to use that filter. Is there a little biege box with a  phone jack on it on or near the panel?
     If you are under contract with someone, be careful. Doing anything to that control panel could affect the warranty.
God bless,
Dawg fan.
All that is required for evil to succeed is for good people do nothing. Beware of ethical naturalists bearing moral gifts.

whizzbang

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 10:21:08 AM »
Hey Dawg_fan

Thanks for your quick reply! I think you have answered my question by saying that 4 wires are needed for line seasure but I will try and explain again to be sure! I have attached a basic diagram showing what I was trying to explain.

The Alarm system is wired directly into the Alarm box. I was planning on snipping that wire, attaching one of those beige boxes with a phone jack on it to the end of the wire (coming from the junction box) and plugging the DSL filter into it. Then attaching RJ11 to the other end of the snipped line (comming from the alarm) and plugging that into the other side of the DSL filter.

Unfortunatly that didn't seem to work. I wired the beige box with red to red and green to green as the instructions  said but was not able to get a dial tone form the jack using a regular phone. I tried out different wire combinations and found that with red to red and black to green I was able to get a dial tone.

Next I put an RJ11 on to the other snipped end of the phone line (the end comming from the alarm box) with only red and black wired up (in the two centeral contacts of the RJ11 with red lined up to connect to red and black to black, as in as if both the black and red were connected straight through).

This didn't seem to work either so next I removed the RJ11 and the beige box from the line and wired the lines straight through as you see in the diagram. With A,B,C and D being the wires just twisted together with their corresponding color on the far side. I have not tested it but hopefully this should atleast the alarm is back online  while I figure this all out!

I did one more test which was to use an old phone with the green and red wires stripped so that I could touch them against the twisting points A,B,C, and D to see if I could get a dial tone. I was able to get a dial tone when I combined A and B and also when I combined C and D. I was surprised that C and D gave me a dial tone as the green and the white wires coming out of the junction box did NOT give me a dial tone so I can only suppose this dial tone is comming back down from the alram box rather than coming up from the junction if you get me?

phew thats a long explaination!

I think the end result is that seeing as we have a line seasing alarm which uses 4 wires, then I guess I need to find a 4 wire DSL filter if such a thing exists!

If you could confirm this for me I would be most greatful!

Thanks again!

WB

Dawg fan

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 11:20:12 AM »
Hi Whizzbang,
     Well, guess what. I can't get the diagram to come up. For some reason they never do for me. Any way, I tried looking for the filter you have, but couldn't find it. I am not familiar with a filter that has wires. The only ones I've used plug into something and then have a place where something can plug into them. I was hoping to find some info on how to wire it. I am not convinced that the two wire filter you have won't work. The panel must be connected in series in between the incoming line and the residence phone jacks to sieze the line. Because of this the four lines are required. If the filter can be connected in parallel then only two lines would be required. The problem is I really have no idea how that filter would wire up. Every one I've seen just plugs into a jack and whatever was in the jack plugs into the filter.
What type of system is it?
God bless,
Dawg fan.
All that is required for evil to succeed is for good people do nothing. Beware of ethical naturalists bearing moral gifts.

whizzbang

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 11:46:13 AM »
Hi again Dawg_fan!

Here is a link to the DSL filter I have http://www.excelsus-tech.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.ProductDetail&id=1749744

It has an RJ11 filter on one end and what looks like a double adapter at the other, one port for the phone line and the other for DSL. I don't really need a DSL port on this filter but it was the cheapest dynamic filter I could find here in Ireland so I got it anyway.

When I say it is only a two wire filter what I mean is that you can only see two wires in the RJ11 jack, the red and the green in the centeral contacts. The two outer contacts of the RJ11 are empty. This is why I think my filter will not work as it only allows 2 wires to pass through it, not the  4 that seem to be required by my alarm.

When you crack open the filter houseing you can see the red and green wires going into a circuit board,with no sign of any other wires (ie Black or yellow).

I would be interested if you believe that this filter can still be used!

here is a link the wiring diagram I attached previously, hopefully you should be able to see it!
http://www.iol.ie/~thedeans/wirediagram.gif

Thanks again!

W

Dawg fan

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 05:53:37 PM »
Hi Whizzbang,
       That photo is of the Z-275P2J Z-blocker in line twin jack filter. It is used to stop phone signals from interefering with broadband and vice-versa. I do not think it has anything to do with the alarm at all. It just hooks into a phone jack and then the phone and modem are hooked into it.
       To stop the alarm and broadband from interefering with each other you need this I think....
http://www.excelsus-tech.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.Category&id=6
God bless,
Dawg fan.

whizzbang

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 01:21:55 AM »
Hi Dawg_fan

I think that is what I need alright, although unfortunatly is uses RJ31X-RJ38X and not RJ11 so I might be stuck. I will see if I can get an RJ11 version and I think that should sort all my problems!

Thanks for your invaluable help!!

W

Dawg fan

• Security Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 06:10:11 AM »
Hey Whizzbang,
     You're welcome. I hope I helped.
God bless,
Dawg fan.

tmp

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 04:50:35 AM »
I'm going to encounter the same issue but I think I have it figured out but reading a few things here and seeing a special filter for $50 online makes me worry that the DSL filter provided by verizon won't work in what I want to do.  I want to filter all phones before the security system instead of filtering at the phone jacks.  Does anyone know if there is a limit on how many phones one filter can filter?  I have 20 ports (5 with active phones) and the rest will be connected soon.  I attached a sketch, it's pretty easy to follow.

Thanks for any input and I hope this may help others IF my assumptions are correct.

Seems like the attachment didn't work.  Here is a link

http://www.tvga.com/other/Filter.jpg
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 04:53:27 AM by tmp »