Alarm Monitoring

Alarm Monitoring

Members Online

84 Guests, 2 Users
geoarm ripoff,
Dino

Alarm Installer Search and Reviews

Myalarminstaller.com

Author Topic: DSC 632 and TW digital phone.  (Read 1222 times)

jonjonbear

• View Profile
DSC 632 and TW digital phone.
« on: October 10, 2006, 12:16:48 PM »
Hello group,
I have a home that was pre wired for security and had a power632 panel installed when new. I recently had the telephone system upgraded to Time Warner digital phone and they swore up and down it was compatable where VoIP is not..So the guy comes in and goes to install the system and I told him that the house is prewired so it captures the phone line so he would have to deal with the wires outside as well as in the Onque panel. He got it all hooked up and I asked him "do you need to test the alarm"? and he said no, that if there were a problem the "phone line" warning would be on (which it was while he was working on it)
A week goes by and all seems to be good, and at 2:00 this morning the keypad started beeping and showed "communication" under errors.  First, should this system even by dialing out when there is no alarm?  Second, could it be because he didn't home run the wiring through the panel?  I think after looking at it he merely installed the jack inside the Onque panel and hooked it directly into the house phone wiring so the alarm is probably just like a phone.  I was thinking maybe I could tap off where he installed his jack inside the panel(where his phone connection comes in from the cable modem), disconnect the wiring going to the house, run them over to the alarm panel's RJ31X imput, then run another jumper from the other terms on the RJ31X back to the connections inside the Onque panel thus putting the alarm back in the loop first..Could this even matter?  Anyone else running a DSC 632 with TW digital phone?  I know it works better than Vonage as with Vonage I couldn't even get the fax machine to work and it works fine with the TW telling me the alarm "should" communicate..But also gets me as to why at  2:00 AM the panel was trying to call out..I hope I can figure this out as I let my land line go when TW was installed..
Any ideas? 
Thanks!
John

jonjonbear

• View Profile
Re: DSC 632 and TW digital phone(UPDATE)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 05:07:45 AM »
Hello group..
I found the problem. The installer of the TW digital phone didn't quite understand the wiring of my house and ran the phone signal back up the wrong pair of wires the the alarm. He essentially ran the phone signal to the alarm but on the wrong terminals of the RJ31X. My guess is when the alarm tried to call out it basically got no dial tone.  I fixed the wiring and routed a new wire from the alarm to the house phones so it now will capture the line but does anyone know is there away to initiate a call to the monitoring station without doing an actual test?  Our system has a really loud siren and I don't want to disturb the neighbors just to test it. I called ADT and asked them if there was a silent test and he didn't think so.  The trouble light is still on showing "communication error" but I have no idea what the interval is that they have it programmed to do a routine call.
Any ideas?  Thanks!
John

Security Monitor

• Security Guru
  • member: International Order of the llamas
    • View Profile
Re: DSC 632 and TW digital phone.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 09:09:14 PM »
Run the test.
That's what needs to be done.  You have to make a decision if having a working alarm is more important than a few seconds burst of a siren.  Until you conduct a successful communications test, how do you really know the problem was fixed?